Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm sure the title will get some attention. :D

I'm sure this has come up before, but I have had little luck searching for a thread of this nature. Being new to reloading, I am aware of the fact that I will be using explosive primers and powder. I'm not a worry-wart, but would like to take the steps necessary to ensure safe loading. I understand keeping my equipment clear of any debris and loose powder and I won't be throwing primers at the floor like crack-pops anytime soon.

I would like to know what you guys wear for protection when you are reloading. Safety glasses? Face shield? IIIA body armor?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Ear and eye protection. I like covering my ears since it reduces and minimizes the chance of being distracted by background noise.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Nothing special, and I've been smoking like a chimney while reloading for about 35 years.

Not that I'm recommending it for anyone else, but you asked.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I usually wear reading glasses, and most of the time I wear clothes of some sort, varying according to how hot or cold it is in my garage.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hey Case thanks,I have smoked my pipe while loading for about as long. I just don't do it while filling the bottles.
Merry Christmas and A Happy and Healthy New Year
George

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Old Shooter said:
Hey Case thanks,I have smoked my pipe while loading for about as long. I just don't do it while filling the bottles.
Merry Christmas and A Happy and Healthy New Year
George
I do have one safety rule around the reloading stuff: I don't lean over open powder bottles with a cigarette dangling in my lips.

Hot ashes dropping into one could possibly elevate the session's excitement level to heady heights.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Fourth of July at Christmas................. :lol: :lol: :lol:

At least I do walk away from the powder before I smoke. :shock:

An as to what I wear when reloading, well my shop is unheated, so I like to put on some clothes, an shoes. Tends to get a little nippy without clothes when its 20 degree's in my shop. :lol: :lol: Some little things shrink a LOT when cold. :shock: :s

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
EyeMissum said:
Some little things shrink a LOT when cold. :shock: :s
Don! The reloading room's NOT the place for that.

Good Lord... We must exercise at least a modicum of decorum.

"This is my rifle, this is my gun...One's for shooting, the other's for..."

Well... nevermind... You get the point...

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I try to remember to use safety glasses but I am not a glasses type and the only time I always put them on are when using my Lee auto prime for centerfire or when opening shells/popping primers/pulling bullets. Other than that I am kinda hit and miss.
But there is definitely no smoking in the loading room; I shoot a lot of flintlock. Smokeless probably won't ignite with ashes but blackpowder won't hesitate.

Jeremiah

·
Registered
331 Posts
I do not wear anything special, I probably should buy another pair of shooting glasses and use when reloading tho.

Michael Grace

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I always wear safety glasses. My eyes are most important to me. Trap shooting/hunting would be rather hard to do without them.

I suppose I should wear a jock strap :shock: , because there is one thing I like more than trap shooting/hunting! :p

·
Registered
16,296 Posts
Whatever I happen to have on when I want to do a bit of loading. I've done it in a pair of jockey shorts and even in a tux while waiting for the "war dept" to get ready to go out on the town.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts