NobelSport Trap Gold
Winchester (AA and Universal)
Clever Mirage
Olympia Mini-Max

and a few others

·
Registered
780 Posts
I like the Nitro 27 shells, for sporting clays I buy the 1-1/8 with either 8's or 7-1/2's loaded at 1300 fps. For mini's and battues I shoot STS loaded with 1-1/8 of 9's they are about 1200 fps. I tried shooting some of my reloads at a fun shoot once, those were AA hulls and the primers were seating too deep and failure to fire was common that day. For any shoot the confidence factor is necessary and I will buy my loads. For club league and general practice I "roll my own."

·
Registered
297 Posts
Clay Cartridge Corp.

1 1/8 oz # 7.5's @ 1220 fps

A great, hard hitter at a good price.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
for FITASC:
Remington Nitro 27s 1 oz, 7.5 or 8 1290 fps
Winchester Light Handicap 1 oz 7.5 or 8 1290 fps
Clay Cartridge Premium 1 oz 7.5 or 8 1330 fps
Federal Game Load 7.5 or 8 1290 fps
Sporting Clays:
Reloads in 7/8 oz of 8s 1250 fps or 1 oz of 7.5 at 1250 fps
Remington STS 1 oz 7.5 or 8 1180 fps
Remington Sport Load 1 oz 7.5 or 8 1290 fps
Win AA Light Target 1 oz 7.5 or 8 1180 fps
Clay Cartridge Competition 1 oz 7.5 or 8 1220 fps
Any of the FITASC listed above

·
Registered
408 Posts
Not all tournaments require factory ammo, but I would say that all of the big ones do. I believe that is to prevent cheating. Reloads are allowed at all of the local, smaller, shoots that I attend however.

I shoot Fiocci super crushers. 1oz #8 @ 1400 fps. Speed kills.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I use Lyalvale Express H.V. Competition 28gm (1oz.) loads in 7.5 and 8. These use plastic wads.

When fibre wads are specified, I use H. V. Fibre Competition 28gm (1oz.) in 7.5 or 8.

:)

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I've hardly ever seen shoots that specify factory ammo.
Even most all state shoots allow reloads.
It would be really hard to cheat with a reload at spoting clays when most all targets can be broken with 1 to 1 1/8oz of 7 1/2's just fine, anymore is probably a detriment,and hurts the shooter more than the target.
It may be a liability issue as well, where larger shot than 7 1/2 (which is banned in all SC tournaments) could be a safety issue.

·
Registered
780 Posts
UltraMag said:
I've hardly ever seen shoots that specify factory ammo.
Even most all state shoots allow reloads.
It would be really hard to cheat with a reload at spoting clays when most all targets can be broken with 1 to 1 1/8oz of 7 1/2's just fine, anymore is probably a detriment,and hurts the shooter more than the target.
It may be a liability issue as well, where larger shot than 7 1/2 (which is banned in all SC tournaments) could be a safety issue.
Things must be different where you are, I have seen tournaments specify factory ammo only and have found on the sub gauge courses once fired hulls of 20 gauge 1oz. It is easy to cheat at sporting clays if you want to, as no one has ever checked my shells and I have never seen any one checked either. I have also found once fired hulls with 6's on the hull that is clearly cheating and no excuse for it. Just stating the facts of what I have found, not complaining.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.