Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a rookie so please be gentle. I own a 20 gage model 12 slide action. Is this a gun I can use for deer hunting; if so, at what range. Could it be used to learn trap shooting, or do I need a 12 gage. I am middle age and no sharp shooter. Any advise would be appreciated. Jack

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
You can use it for any of the above, it may not be perfect but will definately be left up to the shooters expertise as to the outcome. Is a 12 better suited to the tasks? Yes. Will a 12 automatically make a difference over the 20? No.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
I've got one I don't do any of that with, but I'm sure it would work. I wouldn't part with it for anything. Model 12 20 ga are very nice!

BP

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
Do you live in a state that requires the use of shotguns to hunt deer? If not, use a rifle instead.

You can use your gun for waterfowling, but you need to use some of the non-toxic shot that is heavier than steel (tungsten in its several forms, bismuth) for 20 ga ammo to be lethal enough.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
You've got a classy shotgun, probably the best pump-gun ever made. :wink:

How long is the barrel, and does it have full, modified, or improved cylinder stamped on it? If it is improved cylinder, it will be perfect for quail or grouse. If it is modified, it will be better for things normally shot a little further away, like doves and pheasants. If it is full, it will be better for further targets.

Of the 2 targets you mentioned, it would be best for deer slugs if it is improved cylinder and best for trap if it is marked full.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Hello JackS: welcome to the forum. Well depending on exactly what configureation of Md 12 20ga. you have, you may not want to use it for hunting. Meaning some are quite valueable and rare. Here are some of the grades, Field, with a plain barrel, Field with Solid Rib, Field with a Vent Rib, Deluxe Field, Special Deluxe Field, "Trap", Skeet, Black Diamond, Black Diamond Trap, Pigeon to name a few! Depending on vintage you could have a 25, 26, 28, or 30inch barrel. also if the gun was made before 1927, (S/N aprox. 464,565) it came from the factory with a 2 1/2 inch chamber, so you will want to have it checked to see if it's been opened up for 2 3/4in. shells.

As for deer hunting using a slug, I don't recommend it if it has a "Full" choke. Other chokes possibly, but there are much better slug guns out there that are set up with rifle sights.

As for hunting, doves, quail, pheasant, ducks, partridge, grouse, rabbits, and squirels!!

For duck hunting, I recommend Bismuth, tungsten/Matrix, or tungsten/Polymer. DO NOT shoot Steel through it.

Regards Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts