Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've just bought a benelli supersport, and it's sad to say that i don't know much about chokes, i'm going to be shooting clays thrown out of a ordinary thrower, nothing competition, and would like a little info. on what would probably be best to use.
here's what i have- full, improved mod., mod., improved cyl., skeet.
I'm thinking maybe improved mod.
thanks for any help at all

·
Registered
96 Posts
Is the thrower going to be right beside you, out in front of you, throwing crossers??? Approximately what distance? It sounds like IM would be too much choke to me based on the info you've provided. I would choose Improved Cylinder based on the info you've given. I've shot IC in skeet, trap, 5-stand, and sporting clays. I haven't seen a shot yet that couldn't be hit with an IC. Just my $.02.

Edited to add: Since you said you don't know much about chokes, the order in which you listed them in the original post lists them from tightest pattern to widest pattern.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i listed the chokes the way the book had them wrote down.
i'll give ic a try.
The thrower will be for the most part, right beside of us.
thanks bigdawg

·
Registered
96 Posts
In my opinion, IC is the most versatile choke out there for the multiple different games. If you can hit a target with IC, you'll be able to pretty much hit anything. IC puts you at a little disadvantage for skeet where a wider pattern can help. It puts you at a little disadvantage for 16-yard trap where a tighter pattern could help. For 5-stand or sporting clays, the IC is generally all you'll need. My wife and I went and shot sporting clays on Monday, she shot Cylinder in her bottom barrel and Improved Cylinder in her top. I shot Improved Cylinder in my bottom barrel and Lite Modified in the top.

If the thrower is going to be next to you like in wobble trap or just back yard clays, IC will work just fine for you whether you get on the bird quickly or whether you let it get out there a little ways. There are a million opinions on chokes, but I think that most will agree to IC's versatility. If I could only have one choke, it would be IC.

·
Banned
8,378 Posts
MY supersports came with cylinder not skeet. I have bought a LM and usually stick it in and leave it when shooting SC`s.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Oh yeah, one more remark... You bought yourself a SWEET gun. I held one for the first time today, and it was NICE. I was debating between that one and a Beretta AL391 Teknys Gold Sporting. I bought the Beretta today for two reasons. My wife said it was "prettier" and she was able to get a better cheek weld on it than on the Benelli. I used to have the low-end Benelli Montefeltro and it was a great gun. Don't let the Beretta snobs bully you around on the board. :D

I own 3 Berettas - 2 O/U's and now 1 auto, but I know that the Benelli automatics are excellent guns. I really like their commercials on Benelli's American Gun Dog show which is on ESPN2 on Sunday mornings. It just cracks me up every time I see that commercial where the guy with the Benelli gets off 3 shots in less than a second and his buddy shoots once and gets blown backwards 40 feet. When the German Shorthaired Pointer is licking the face of the other guy, it cracks me up every time. I've got a GSP, and that's what he'd do. :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
cbxchris said:
MY supersports came with cylinder not skeet. I have bought a LM and usually stick it in and leave it when shooting SC`s.
Depending on the SC course, Lite Mod is a good choice for an automatic also. I shoot it in the top barrel of my O/U.

Claybuster2 - Don't let the thought of chokes get in your head. Busting clay birds is 90% mental. Briley has an excellent picture which will help you understand chokes better. I was a newbie at this less than a year ago. This chart helps a LOT in understanding chokes. Click here for the picture.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cbxchris, i pushed the book to the side, and actually looked at the chokes i had and found that i also have a cyl choke instead of a skeet like i thought.

Bigdawg, my wife did'nt like the looks of the supersport at all, she thought i ought to get the beretta onyx pro 20 ga, which i've also had my eye on for some time for bird hunting, now that i found out that she likes the looks of the beretta, it might be a little easier to convince her i need it real bad, to go hunting with 2 or 3 times a year. lol
i better concentrate on paying the benelli off first, before i ease the beretta in the back door.
more than likely, i'll get a franchi, a sratch on a 1600 dollar gun looks a lot worse, than when it's on a 6 or 7 hundred dollar auto, and of couse the franchi is lighter.

·
Banned
8,378 Posts
The supersports are addictive. I bought my son one for his birthday....then went and bought one for me. He still uses various guns and I have too....but when I go SC shooting now I stick with the SS. I can`t get a gun to work with me like it does.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts