Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The shells are premium/new/fine: But in bottom barrell primers are struct sufficiantly but shell does not fire? 4 times out of 100... This is a K-Gun... Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2006 Krieghoff K80 Plantation Grade and a Beretta
8,299 Posts
The shells are premium/new/fine: But in bottom barrell primers are struct sufficiantly but shell does not fire? 4 times out of 100... This is a K-Gun... Suggestions?
New firing pins.

Reactions: dogchaser37

·
Registered
832 Posts
Dirty action / weak springs giving a light strike. Hammer/firing pin rubs against some part of action or stock. Primers not fully seated in pocket.

But if your FP strikes really are hard, then it's almost got to be ammo.

If you move the shell to top barrel and strike it again, does it fire?

good luck, garrisonjoe

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
Don't use ammo with Cheddite primers. Most euro ammo has them. Even the premium stuff. Those hard primers damage pins in K guns.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Try the Kreighoff forum. Plenty of threads on how much better K gun triggers are than Perazzis. Having a slow day and I apologize for trolling

·
Registered
40 Posts
If the primer strikes are hard enough that it should go off, the shells might just have some bad primers? With all of the demand the ammo manufacturing companies are supposedly dealing with, QC might be taking a turn for the worst.

·
Registered
442 Posts
You know i have never had a cheep or promo shell fail to fire. But I have had quite a few premium shells fail to fire.
Just saying.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Try one in the top barrel. If it goes off then I’d say it’s your bottom hammer spring either worn or dirty.

·
Registered
14,051 Posts
My wife had a Beretta that would get fouled w/ powder residue in the firing pin holes. Had a devil of a time cleaning it and keeping it clean.

Reactions: Albundy

·
Premium Member
8,507 Posts
Primers are extremely reliable. Set too deep? Yeah maybe. This is a shotgun problem.

Reactions: Albundy

·
Registered
47 Posts
K80's have springs which retract the firing pins after the gun is cocked. If the spring in the lower barrel is broken or the hole for the firing pin is dirty, the pin may not retract fully, leading to a weak strike. I sold my K-80 long ago, so I don't know if cleaning/changing firing pins is something you can do yourself. Maybe one of the other readers can offer some guidance.
Good luck,
Lou

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
it0026
So what you are saying is don't use euro ammo in guns made in Europe?
Must be tough on those guys in Europe to only buy American ammo.
Talk to the folks in Ottsville about Cheddite primers in K guns. The problem is well documented. The piercing of primers and the pitting damage to firing pins has been around for a long time. The issues also show up in Browning and others. Issues with pierced primers (Cheddite) in a K80?

·
Registered
519 Posts
I shoot Cheddite primers almost exclusively in my K-80 with the other primer being Nobel Sports. Only primers I have for reloading. Never had any firing pin problems. I‘m a high volume shooter and have my gun serviced every 2 or 3 years. If it ever becomes a problem, I’ll move to another platform. It’s ludicrous that a high-end European gun manufacturer would blame EUROPEAN ammo for their failings. In fact, it’s unacceptable, especially given the fact that their are many K-80’s that perform just fine with European ammo and primers.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
I've used Cheddite primers exclusively for years in my B, P & Z guns, no issues at all. That said, you shoot what you can get these days. To me, firing pins are consumables, I have spares for all my guns. If an issue arises, change them out and move on...

OP, it looks to me like you have a firing pin/spring problem.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I shoot Cheddite primers almost exclusively in my K-80 with the other primer being Nobel Sports. Only primers I have for reloading. Never had any firing pin problems. I‘m a high volume shooter and have my gun serviced every 2 or 3 years. If it ever becomes a problem, I’ll move to another platform. It’s ludicrous that a high-end European gun manufacturer would blame EUROPEAN ammo for their failings. In fact, it’s unacceptable, especially given the fact that their are many K-80’s that perform just fine with European ammo and primers.
Sorry but if a $8,000 plus dollar gun can't shoot whatever shells or primers it's a POS. At that price it should be made to withstand damned near anything and function properly, if not I'd be shipping it back to the manufacture..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts