Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Traded a Mossberg 500 for this a couple weeks ago. I can find very little information on it. Its a 12ga magnum SPS. Any ideas on what it is worth? Any help with this is greatly appreciated

Thanks

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,694 Posts
Looks like an 870 Special Purpose Slug model with a gray laminated thumbhole stock from here. I have not seen a factory stock shaped just like that, but I am not into slug or tactical at all so that doesn't mean much. No idea on worth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,064 Posts
Seems to me they sold for around 600 or so. Super comfortable and controllable on a slug/turkey platform. They currently have gone to what they call their "sure shot" stock replacing this one. Not a true thumb-hole, but it is ambidextrous. That stock was dropped in favor of the newer sure shot one a couple years ago.

BTW: It is just an SP drop the last "S". SPS stands for Special Purpose Synthetic which yours is not. Dull Wood or laminates are refured to as just SP ie Special Purpose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,064 Posts
Looking the pic over closer the gun might be a clone. Stocks like that are available. The recoil pad doesn't look to fit well. Which leads me to believe something is up. Also I remember these guns having the cantilever barrel. This one has rifle sights. Interesting to know the answer to cowpoke's question.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,294 Posts
01lariat said:
Looking the pic over closer the gun might be a clone. Stocks like that are available. The recoil pad doesn't look to fit well. Which leads me to believe something is up. Also I remember these guns having the cantilever barrel. This one has rifle sights. Interesting to know the answer to cowpoke's question.
I see what you are saying about the pad, it appears to possibly be one of the ones limbsaver made for Remington?? and there was some fit issues with those that I saw on a few other stock styles due to what I am guessing is stock size variability since the limbsavers would all be molded from very likely identical molds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is a fully rifled barrel. It is a limbsaver pad with the "R" for Remington on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,064 Posts
Other than not having the cantilever fully rifled barrel it is just like the one pictured in the 07 catalog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,294 Posts
01lariat said:
Other than not having the cantilever fully rifled barrel it is just like the one pictured in the 07 catalog.
i suppose they could have sent a few out with rifle sights that were not shown in the catalog. It won't be a first or likely last. Or the previous owner swapped barrels... not a big deal if the eye ball the and the sights line up correctly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,637 Posts
Doesn't Boydes make stocks like that for the 870? Maybe it's aftermarket. I do remember seeing some like that in the catalog but I thought they had the cantileaver barrels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,064 Posts
liljake82 said:
Doesn't Boydes make stocks like that for the 870? Maybe it's aftermarket. I do remember seeing some like that in the catalog but I thought they had the cantileaver barrels.
Yes they did. Probably still do. I was under the impression Boyds may have suppied them stocks to Remington since I believe they are identical. I'm not certain though...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,294 Posts
01lariat said:
liljake82 said:
Doesn't Boydes make stocks like that for the 870? Maybe it's aftermarket. I do remember seeing some like that in the catalog but I thought they had the cantileaver barrels.
Yes they did. Probably still do. I was under the impression Boyds may have suppied them stocks to Remington since I believe they are identical. I'm not certain though...
To my knowledge Boyds was the supplier to Remington for those stocks.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top