Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
The same gun I use for ducks, cept I change to a Roy Rhodes turkey tube. Benelli M1 Super 90.So far, I have had good luck with both the patterns and kill results with the 3" Remington 4x6 loads.

·
Registered
111 Posts
i use a camo browning bps with a 28 inch barrel and 3" # 4's or 5's federal turkeys loads. i also have an undertaker turkey choke . i wish i would have got the 24 inch barrel but i got the gun for free. i'm also testing the remington hevi shot for this season. which ever throws the better pattern "Hard work pays off in the future, being lazy pays off now!"

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use a mossberg 500. Fully covered with camo clad realtree hardwoods. it has a extra ful turkey choke tube and turkey buster ring of fire fiber optic sights on it. I use winchester super x cooperplated #6. 3 inch mag shells. She has a pattern of 10 inchs at 20 yards and about 20 or so at 40 yards.HeavyChevyLM NAHCFounding member HHHwww.hhh-usa.org

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use a Remington 870 Super Mag, 24"bbl, black synthetic with a Comp-N-Choke .655 constriction. I have found that the Winchester Supreme high-velocity 3 1/2" #5s pattern nicely and pack a punch. I have killed 4 longbeards this year between 29 and 53 yards and all have been "absolutely hammered" by this combo.

G

·
well, i used a remington 1100 20 gauge with high brass 4's, dont do what i did, i put 2 well placed shots from about 40 yards, it didnt stop the turkey like it was supposed to, so, i went and bought a remington 870 express super mag 12 gauge, i live in oklahoma, and i can only use rifle in fall, so the 12 gauge is my primary spring gun, ill probably use 3" mags, itll probably kick, but look at it this way, if you get into the situation with a turkey where you can shoot it, you wont feel the kick, so dont worry about that, if you are a complete idiot, youll be shooting your 3"in mags at skeet, that is when it will kick, i just use 3 to sight it in, for 30yd., 50yd., and 65yd., and that is all youll need, now the shot size should be high brass 6s or under, you can still reach out at 60 yds with 6s,

good luck

·
Registered
161 Posts
I use a Remington 870 Express (3" mag). I put a Rem camo stock on it this year. Now it looks exactly like the new 870 Express turkey gun. I also put a Rem Turkey Extra Full choke on it.

This gun shoots unbelieveably tight patterns using 3" size 4 turkey loads.

A friend and I were patterning our shotguns. His gun is a Mossburg Ultimag 3-1/2. I think he was using 3" 5's. I consistanlty got tighter patterns at 40 yards.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I hunt turkeys with a 20 gauge Remington 870 Express with a modified choke. That set up is effective at about 20 yards with the 3" turkey loads (Remington) #6 shot. Since I hunt in fairly dense woods, that works out about right.

The Express has a matt finish so it doesn't attract the turkey's attention.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I always use a 20 gauge for everything, so therefore, I use a 20 gauge with Remington or Winchester 3" #6's and a extra full choke. My winchester model 1300 puts 5 pellets in a turkeys head (a turkey target) at 60 yards. But will knock a turkey out just like a twelve at 50 and closer.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I killed a turkey this year at 25 yards with my new 870 Camo Super Mag Special Purpose with 3" #6's. To be honest, it is probably overkill. At that range, it patterns 70 pellets in the head/neck with x-full turkey choke. I have yet to shoot a turkey past 25 yards, so you could probably use just about anything with a tight choke. Since I'm also a longbow hunter, I might try that next time too. More of a challenge.

·
Registered
215 Posts
:D i use remington 870 express super mag.28 inch barrel , winchester 3 1/2 inch no.4 shot turkey load ,rem. super full turkey choke , pro diamond simmons scope . i got my first turkey this spring 18.5 lbs. 9 in. beard 1.25 in spurs . maybe 35 to 40 yards . am i the only one who uses a scope ? :?:

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Last season I used Remington 870 Express 12guage with 3" Winchester Supreme #5 with Remington XXFull choke tube for one bird and a Browning Gold Hunter 20guage Invector+ Full Choke, 3" Hevi-shot #5 for another. Both birds taken inside of 30 yards and the 20 killed it just as dead as the 12.

G

·
I use an 870 SP 3". I started with a saddle mount and 2.5X scope. But when I found a smooth bore remchoke barrel with a cantilever scope mount I jumped on it. Sold the 21" barrell that came with the SP and then bought a 28" vent rib barrell. The cantilever mount allows me to swap without loosing zero on the scope. I use a comp-n-choke choke and remington duplex loads. So far it has dropped the hammer on two toms.

G

·
I use an 870 SP 3". I started with a saddle mount and 2.5X scope. But when I found a smooth bore remchoke barrel with a cantilever scope mount I jumped on it. Sold the 21" barrell that came with the SP and then bought a 28" vent rib barrell. The cantilever mount allows me to swap without loosing zero on the scope. I use a comp-n-choke choke and remington duplex loads. So far it has dropped the hammer on two toms.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Used to use my 870 with plain old full choke and 3" # 5's. This year I will use my model 37, 16 ga with fixed modified choke and 2/34" # 6's. I hunt in pretty dense woods, so it'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
A 2 x 4

2oz of a mixture of #2 and #4 shot. In an all black synthetic 3-1/2in 12ga Browning BPS with a 28in barrel and an extra full turkey choke. I forget who made the choke I have but it is a flush tube.

Matt

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'm going to start using my longbow, at least once in a while. The last two turkeys I shot with my 12 ga. were at 20-25 yards. The only real challenge was calling them within range. Having said that, I know the turkey gods will now wreak vengeance on me and keep me from getting one for the next x # of years (notice how I outsmarted them by not putting the actual number of years down :shock: :D ).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.