Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wood or metal?

I prefer an oil (I use tung oil) on my walnut stocks.

I prefer good old blue on the metal if it's good and deep. I am waiting for a gun to come back from ARS with a Metacol treatment. I sincerely hope that Metacol becomes my favorite!

Mike

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have had my brother do a few of my guns with a hand-rubbed linseed-oil finish that is deep enough to dive into and drown. He usually sheens the final coat down with very-well-used 0000 steel wool with baby oil to take the high-gloss finsih down to a beautiful satin (actually he does that between all coats to ensure an extremely smooth finish - feels like silk). The finish is extremely durable and with proper care will last my lifetime.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I've always been a big fan of Browning's shiny arse guns. Deep blueing and high gloss for me.

G

·
Fellows, thanks for all ur inputs! What's your opinions(s) about the metal finish they use in frying pans? I think it's also black and makes it non-sticky.

Sorry the term escapes me at the moment.

Ithabrown

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Again, thanks all! I guess I learned a lot from your inputs on what finish is practical and appropriate, and hot to go about the processes.

Mike, I think Teflon will not be my first choice after ur post. Thanks!

Ithabrown

1 - 8 of 8 Posts