Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, My dad told me to use 000 steel wool to reblue ma barrel. So I went along with it and jsut bought my bottle of Perma Blue and a huge pack (only pack) of 000 steel wool. Is this wool good enough to wipe out the rust so I can start rebluein my barrel before dove season starts in a couple of weeks. I erally hate to head back to the store to get mroe wool. I have enough as it is hehe. Please help :)

Jamie

·
Premium Member
19,862 Posts
I suggest that you read the directions on the blueing kit or bottle. What do they suggest?

The digits "000" stand for the coarseness of the steel wool. 000 is pretty fine (small), but not the finest (smallest). 0000 is the finest (smallest) that I'm aware of, but it may be too fine to remove the rust. 0000 basically just polishes, but does very, very little removing of anything. I would guess that 000 is about right for removing rust on a barrel. Try some of it on a spot of rust and see what it does.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I rubbed a lil on hte barrel im workin on and it comes out pretty shiny and smooth. I even found a old bottle of rust and blue remover and read sumwhere on the net a minute ago to apply some of it with the steel wool to remove the rust and old blueing. I guess I'm doin okie so far for my first bluein job!!!

Jamie

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I progressed with the bluing of the barrel and all I can say is that I love it. Its not as dark as a factory blued barrel but Im way satisfied with the resuslts so far. Directions on bottle say to leave over night for best resuslts so i am doin that. But wow, not bad for my first blueing job!!! so far so good!!! :):):)

Jamie

·
Premium Member
19,862 Posts
CA,

So how did your blueing job turn out?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts