Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on going deer hunting for the 1st time ever next year with my father in law. You will have to excuse my ignorance for I'm a newbie to hunting. He recommends that I get a shotgun. I would like to get a multi purpose gun that I can use primarily for deer but also can be used for waterfowl. I would love to hear any recommendations. My brother in law has a Benelli superblack, I love it but it is a bit out of my price range (up to 600$). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
448 Posts
What gun to get depends on your preferences and what feels "good" to you. Try shoulder several models and see which one(s) "point" the most naturally and feel comfortable when shouldered. Even better, if you can shoot a couple at say trap, that will be a good way to guide your selection.

Assuming that you have a reasonably restricted budget and since deer and birds are on the menu, I'd recommend a combo package (deer and bird barrels). Rem Express (I have this), or a Win 1300 are both good and not too pricey. The Mossberg is a good gun and inexpensive but I don't like the ported barrels.

Good luck and safe shooting.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Remington 870!! Get one with a long barrel and the buy a extra rifled barrel for deer.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
There are a few very good semi autos that sell for around $600.00. Here are some models that I like.

Beretta 390 and 3901 are gas operated. They are basically the same gun with different shaped receivers. They are fairly light in weight, have stock shims, and automatic magazine cutoffs. They each hold four shells and can't accept extensions. They are not too bad to clean. The 390 only comes in B/S with a 28" barrel in 12 gauge.
Beretta Pintail/ES100 is inertia operated. It's fairly light and has a slim forearm. They are very easy to clean and have an automatic magazine cutoff. It holds five shells and can't be extended. Shims are available for this model. This model does not have a magazine release making the unloading take a tad longer than most.
Browning Silver Hunter is gas operated. It's very light in weight and has stock shims available for it. It only comes in a Silver/Blue/Wood finish. It holds five rounds total. It does not have the speed load and magazine cutoff features but has the same gas system as the more expensive Golds.
Franchise 612 and 712 are gas operated. They are the same except for the receiver shape. They are very easy to clean and light in weight. They have an automatic magazine cutoff's and shims for the stock. They hold five shells and more with an extension. They don't have the best triggers in terms of weight and creep.
Weatherby SAS is gas operated. It is fairly light in weight and very easy to clean. It has a magazine cutoff switch and shims for the stock. It has a good safety shape, size, and location. It holds five shells and more with an extension. This model was made by SKB first then Valtro for Weatherby. Parts do not interchange between the two.
Winchester SX2 is gas operated. It has decent weight and is pretty easy to clean. It has a high rib and stock shims are available. It holds five rounds and more if extended. This is the only model that does not have a magazine cutoff of any kind.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I really like Remington 870 Express when it comes to shotgunning deer. I bought one with a synthetic stock so I could put on a Remington R3 recoil pad (made by Limbsaver). I use Remington BuckHammer slugs and a Remington extended length rifled choke tube. I'm able to achieve 1/2" groups at 50 yards with the rifled choke. I got some very nice aftermarket sights for 60% off, they attach directly to the vent rib and are fully adjustable.

The only problem with the system I've put together is that I have to mess with taking the sights off and putting them back on to change from deer to waterfowl and back again. That also requires a complete resighting of the gun each time. So I guess I'd recommend the combo. Changing out barrels on an 870 Express is real easy. Come to think of it, everything about the 870 is real easy. Since you have a lot of time and a restrictive budget, look around for a used combo. Worst case scenario, the 870 Express combos cost about $400 new.

-Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One very important info I left out is tha I'm a south paw. So i need either a left eject or a bottom eject.

·
Registered
893 Posts
anamod said:
One very important info I left out is tha I'm a south paw. So i need either a left eject or a bottom eject.
Don't necessarily feel limited by this, especially when deer hunting, when the first shot is possibly (likely) the only one you get. Concentrate instead on which firearm comes up to the shoulder quickly and naturally, with your eye aligned with the sights. It may well be a Left Handed shotgun, but try a bunch out to see which feel right. Also, check your eye dominance; if you are left handed/right eye dominant, shooting right handed may be your best choice. Consult a local club's Hunter Education Instructor for advice if you need to- most times it's freely given.

Personally, I handle alot of shotguns, and I see alot that I like very much but find that when I shoulder them, they don't quite do the job. Be selective and unhurried, and if it feels "not right" or doesn't point where you think it should, keep looking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am blind in my right eye, right handed, and have to shoot left handed. Unless you want to buy a purpose made left handed gun, I would recommend a Mossberg pump as the top tang safety is easily worked with the thumb of your left hand, they are inexpensive, reliable and readily available. I don't have any problems with the shells ejecting on the right (semi autos are another story!) and you are working the action with your strong arm. If you are going to do any real shotgunning ( as opposed to rifle style deer hunting) I would reccommend developing your left-hand/eye coordination. I did this by simply pulling my left trigger finger rapidly (It's amazing how quickly your speed and strength will build up!) and then squeezing my finger at characters on the T.V. screen. This exercise gave me 2-3 extra targets at a round of trap. Have fun. Sealaskan

·
Registered
482 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just picked up a BPS Hunter off the internet for less than $300 shipped. I had tried a couple at local shops and they felt pretty good. Put 75 rounds through it yesterday at Trap and had a good time. It points relatively naturally and has enough weight to smooth out my swing without feeling too front heavy. If you have a trap range around you anywhere it seems like a good place to practice if you plan on doing any wing shooting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would suggest a pump, definently 12 *****. If your looking for a deer gun, you need a deer barrel. So if you looking for multi purpose than you might want to look at either a remington 870 or a mossberg 500. popular guns that hold up. I would go with the 870. i have had some trouble with my mossberg but alot of my freinds use them with out any problems. Either of these guns will keep you under 600 even with a second barrel i would recomend going to an out door store like Gander Mountain. Shop around and you will find a good deal. these two guns go on sale often and have many acessories

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
anamod said:
That makes it easy: find a nice used Ithaca 37. Even better yet, look for one that has both a bird barrel and a slug barrel. They're great guns: light, durable, well-made (real walnut stock, rich bluing, engraved), and smooth-shucking. Best pumpgun ever made, IMHO...

·
Registered
2 Posts
The BPS is a bottom ejector as well. 225 rounds through it now and still feels good. This is my first shotgun and I'm just starting at trap as well so not a lot to compare it to, just that it seems to swing and point naturally.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts