Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what's the story on poly chokes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had a Mossberg bolt action with a poly choke (select choke?) as my first gun, and I loved that poly choke. One quick twist of the wrist, and I would come out of the duck blind at full choke and shoot grouse with a modified.

My dad put one on his Browning A5, and he shot skeet, trap, ducks, grouse and pheasants with that gun...he loved his Marbles poly choke.

I'm looking at my new Beretta with five screw-in chokes, and a wrench to do it with, thinking, "I'd rather have my old poly choke!" So much easier; no fuss; no muss.

I was not interested in shotguns during the demise of poly chokes. Whatever happened to the poly choke? It seems like technology gone backwards.

I mean what could be cooler than a poly choke with a big ol' vented compensator on the front?

David A

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Poly choke was a great idea in its day, when every one was shooting a Rem. 870 or a 1100 with a single barrel. But then came the O/U and the screw in chokes. Now the gas guns are REAL popular again but don't forget you got to look cool, so who wants some big thing stuck on the end of there barrel? And Rem. don't forget, most of these shooters today don't even know what a Poly choke is.
Dave

RemingtonII
Shotgun Expert
Gas guns are REAL popular---and as concerns cool
I am AMAZED, in this part of the country, how many people have abandoned over/under guns in sporting clays and clay shooting in general for gas guns.

Wholesale abandonment.

In the medical community there are reports of serious, repetitve stress injuries from shooting over/under shotguns long-term, with complications in neck, shoulder and spine injuries.

However, I am quick to point out that I am in a recreation community, and many people retire here so I may be seeing a distorted picture of seniors abandoning over/under shotguns.

Dave, as concerns "cool", maybe there is a "retro-cool" category available for the poly choke lovers of the world.

Howie1049
Shotgunworld Ambassador
(11/8/02 10:48:06 am)

Ah heck, I remember them (Polychokes). Had one on a old Rem. M-11 12ga. 24" barr. shot the hell out of it. Hunt edge cover, use mod. choke, go into deep cover open the sucker up. The old world was great, most of the old hunters were meat hunters, something for the table. Success was judged by body count. Now days it's judge by what's in fashion, never mind they can't hit a broad side of a barn with their O/U's. Their hunting coats are flawless. Hunting pants have no brairs scratchs. Game bags are empty. As the world turns. Shells

john305
Shotgunworld Ambassador
(11/8/02 1:48:08 pm)

I love my dad's poly on his A-5 I have been looking for some for my guns and I found this company:

www.marblearms.com/polych...choke.html
take my house,ok...my truck,mabey...my guns,NEVER!

Howie1049
Shotgunworld Ambassador
(11/10/02 11:37:04 am)

Thanks for the connection. I'm checking it out for my new 11-87 20ga. Shells

MarlandS
Shotgun Expert
(11/10/02 12:32:52 pm)

I loved the C-lect choke on my old Mossberg bolt action, it wasn't some huge thing hanging out there, if you want to see huge look at a Cutt's Compensator, but those old things filled a much needed niche in their day.

GordonSetter
Shotgunworld Ambassador
(11/11/02 10:04:36 am)

I still use a select choke on my auto loader. Mountain sells them and installs them new for $130. Ploy Choke is the most popular but others make them as well. Right now TruGlo makes a select choke that will screw into the same threads as your screw in choke. This means no fus or gunsmithing involved.

www.gandermountain.com/ta...otgun.html

www.truglosights.com/prod.../index.htm

Let the dog hunt the birds,
... you hunt the dog.

Howie1049
Shotgunworld Ambassador
(11/11/02 9:04:51 pm)

Ya but I thought they were for only 12ga. Shells

P.S. I was refering to Truglo chokes that screw in to the choke tube threads.

Edited by: Howie1049 at: 11/12/02 8:30:18 pm

GordonSetter
Shotgunworld Ambassador
(11/12/02 10:33:11 am)
Re: So what's the story on poly chokes
The following is from Field & Stream's website. It says that Poly Choke is for 12, 16, 20 or 28 shotguns:

Marble Arms/Poly-Choke
CRL, Inc.
PO Box 111, Gladstone, MI 49837
(906) 428-3710 FAX: 3711
Est.: 1898 Staff: 25
President: Craig R. Lauerman
VP: James L. Lauerman
(Factory direct on installed products) Want nine different choke settings and no lost choke tubes or wrenches? Look at Poly-Choke, the original adjustable choke tube. Marble Arms will install the Poly-Choke on any 12, 16, 20 or 28-gauge pump, auto or single barrel shotgun. Just twist the sleeve to select chokes from X-Full to Open Cylinder and choose any pattern in between. Great for hunting or sporting clays, trap and skeet. Standard and ventilated styles. Marble Arms also offers a wide selection of shotgun sights for single or double barrel shotguns. High quality front and mid sights are available in bead, Bradley, Xpert and Bev-L-Blok styles in gold, ivory, red and sunspot colors. To improve accuracy, Marble Arms installs anodized, ventilated shotgun ribs for all single and over/under barrels, complete with front and mid sights. Free catalog.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts