Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An "Alabama Style Target" is one we pick up off the ground and put back in the trap. But, seriously, what is a "New York Style" target?
I've shot all orange, orange with black rim and bottom, orange bio, etc., etc. I have heard the term "New York Style" but never read a good description of what they are. I've probably shot some, but really don't know.
Please explain. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
When I lived in Louisiana, we just took the remains of the "Smoked" targets, put butter, salt and pepper and maple syrup on a pile of it and used it as a tastier substitute for grits.

Bob

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
If you don't smoke any of the targets, you can just grind up the cases that they came in as the corrugated paper has about the same final taste and you get great high fiber roughage!

(True story, while living in Louisiana and running a packaging company, we made what are called Beater Bags. They are three plies of regular natural kraft paper and the adhesive used to make them is starch based and the stitching to close them is also natural and edible. They were sold to flour companies that sold commercial quantity flour to bakeries. The Beater Bags, where thrown into the Beater as is and used to make High Fiber Contact bread.)

And now you know, "The Rest of the Story"

Bob

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
http://whiteflyer.com/three-quarter-style-target/

From left to right - all orange, orange dome and "Three Quarter" Style
Now available from all of the White Flyer Target Plants across the U.S. is the "Three Quarter" Style Target, which is also called the "NY Style Target" or "DOP Target". The same target structurally and design wise as the "White Flyer AA", the "Three Quarter" Style Target differs from the all orange top or orange domed targets in its paint scheme only.
For years the debate has continued over whether gun clubs should use all orange or orange domed targets. Equally divided are shooters that favor one over the other. Based on the types of backgrounds that are dark or where tree lines are prevalent, many clubs prefer the all orange! Some facilities with unobstructed backgrounds favor the orange domed version. Many factors such as clouds in the background affect the visibility of either - hence, many feel that the "Three Quarter" Style Target serves as a great compromise target. It shows contrast with a black edge in cloudy conditions and still provides a lot of orange on the top of the target to be seen.
For more information on White Flyer's "Three Quarter" Style Target please contact your nearest distributor.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
albanygun said:
http://whiteflyer.com/three-quarter-style-target/

From left to right - all orange, orange dome and "Three Quarter" Style
Now available from all of the White Flyer Target Plants across the U.S. is the "Three Quarter" Style Target, which is also called the "NY Style Target" or "DOP Target". The same target structurally and design wise as the "White Flyer AA", the "Three Quarter" Style Target differs from the all orange top or orange domed targets in its paint scheme only.
For years the debate has continued over whether gun clubs should use all orange or orange domed targets. Equally divided are shooters that favor one over the other. Based on the types of backgrounds that are dark or where tree lines are prevalent, many clubs prefer the all orange! Some facilities with unobstructed backgrounds favor the orange domed version. Many factors such as clouds in the background affect the visibility of either - hence, many feel that the "Three Quarter" Style Target serves as a great compromise target. It shows contrast with a black edge in cloudy conditions and still provides a lot of orange on the top of the target to be seen.
For more information on White Flyer's "Three Quarter" Style Target please contact your nearest distributor.
Very helpful.
Much obliged.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rkittine said:
If you don't smoke any of the targets, you can just grind up the cases that they came in as the corrugated paper has about the same final taste and you get great high fiber roughage!

(True story, while living in Louisiana and running a packaging company, we made what are called Beater Bags. They are three plies of regular natural kraft paper and the adhesive used to make them is starch based and the stitching to close them is also natural and edible. They were sold to flour companies that sold commercial quantity flour to bakeries. The Beater Bags, where thrown into the Beater as is and used to make High Fiber Contact bread.)

And now you know, "The Rest of the Story"

Bob
Oh, my. That surely does conjure up some frightful thoughts. I do believe I'm going back to Southern grits...... the kind without sugar in them.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'll take the all orange target in any condition. I've never seen the advantage of the Orange Dome targets with the black rim. One of the biggest reasons I stopped going to the the Great Eastern. As a matter of fact, if I'm going out of State to shoot I almost always call and ask what kind of target they're throwing before I commit $1000 (entry fees, ammo and hotel). Is it true they throw black rims at the World Shoot? Also, for those of you who shot at the Detroit Motor State, do they throw all orange or black rim?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.