Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:?: hi ,you guys really helped me on my central arms double barrel , but now i have a very difficult question to ask ,what are the barrels made from my brother in law tells me not to shoot the gun because the barrels might explode , he says they were made from wire ???? i have no idea what he is talking about can you help me again please .? he is history of said gun ; central arms of st.louis u.s.a. pat.apr.20-1915 ,30inch double barrel 12 ga.has safety hammerless full and mod.choke, stamped on top of barrels high pressure compressed steel, barrel and lug forged in one piece , thanks again , errol

·
Registered
332 Posts
Many old shotguns have Damascus or Twist barrels, which are a lot of wires or metal strips hammer-welded around a mandrel. The best made ones were every bit as good as solid steel but those cheaply made were not. Even the best ones may not be safe today, especially after a century of neglect. However, yours is clearly marked as being high pressure compressed steel, so it is not a "wire" barrel. BUT IF YOU DO NOT PERSONALY KNOW THE MAINTENANCE HISTORY OF THE GUN, HAVE IT CHECKED BY A COMPETENT GUNSMITH BEFORE YOU SHOOT IT. It may not even be chambered for modern-length shells.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you very much, i brought the gun at an auction ,THE WINGS HUNT CLUB IN ST. ALBANS MO. so i would think their guns were cleaned and mantained on a regular basis ,thanks errol :D oh wings hunt club was very rich people

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Errolhunter, I wouldn't assume that just because it was a high class hunt club that the gun was well maintained, or that the old shotgun is safe. Spend a little bit and have it checked for damascus and function and then have them check the chamber. It should be chambered for 2 3/4 but could easily be chambered for 2 5/8.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks marlands, you talked me into it , if this gun is chambered for 2 5/8 in shells i guess i will just have a collectors piece right? thanks errol

hey marlands , just being curious i took gun barrel off put 3inch shell in and it fit all the way in ,then in other barrel i put in 3 1/2 in shell in and it stuck out about 1/4 inch ,so i would guess with the 2 3/4 in. shell being fired the open end of the shell would probaly use the rest of the chamber and make this gun 2 3/4 in . gun right ??

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Naww you could still have a shooter, if everything is solid have the chambers lengthened or find some 2 1/2 in shells it should be 2 3/4's but never assume anything..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.