Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Benelli SuperSport and recently I saw the Montefeltro Silver and, I really liked the way the Forend Cap looked. So, I thought about taking the finish off of the standard SuperSport forend cap and seeing what happens.

Before I do that I want to make sure I am not going to ruin it.
Before I do it I want to make sure I know what it is made of?
Before I do it I want to find out the finish that is on it already?

Do any of you know for a fact what the forend cap for specifically the Benelli Supersport is made of?

Do any of you know for a fact what finish is on the forend cap?

I called Benelli and based on the information they gave me I think they don't know what they are talking about so, I am asking the people who own them or work on them to share their knowledge.

Below are pictures of the different models where you can see the same forend cap design on all three where the Monte Silver has the Silver forend cap that I am trying to emulate by removing the black from mine. I was thinking about using a glass bead machine to remove the finish but, I need to know what is underneath before I do just in case that would totally ruin it (not my intension).

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
What did Benelli say about the cap material? What about their answer leads you to believe that the gun's manufacturer doesn't know what materials they used? What leads you think that there is silver is underneath the black instead of vice-versa? Even though the three caps above look the same, how do you know that they are the same material with different finishes?

Based on the Benellis I've handled and examined, I'd guess that the cap is either aluminum or black plastic with steel inserts. I'd be willing to bet that if you abrade yours, you'd lose the details and finger grooves along with any finish. Have you considered simply buying the cap for the Montefeltro and substituting it for yours?

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
A friend of mine has a Benelli, and I don't know which model, but it had a black cap. He got it bead blasted, and to me it seems dull. Of course, the bead blasting would leave a satin finish, but this seems more like a dull whiteish aluminum color than like a bright steel. I do not think it is very attractive.

I will probably see him today, and I will ask him about it. He probably won't have it with him, though.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DrMike said:
What did Benelli say about the cap material?
Benelli said that it is steel with a blue finish but, I think they are referring to the Montefeltro cap. From looking inside the cap I can see that it is not plastic and by just holding it. Plus, it does not do anything when placed near a magnet (not steel). Also, I know there is silver underneath because I can see it. And, the icing on the cake is that they do not sell just the Montefeltro Silver forend cap by itself: I already thought of that. I think Benelli was confusing this cap when they told me what it was made of:

Seamus O'Caiside said:
He got it bead blasted, and to me it seems dull. Of course, the bead blasting would leave a satin finish, but this seems more like a dull whiteish aluminum color than like a bright steel.
This is what I was planning on doing as well. I was thinking about having it anodized if I didn't like how it comes out afterwards in a color of my choice but, where I could still see the metal underneath.

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
I saw my friend this morning, and he agreed with my opinion that it is some sort of aluminum alloy. He said it did not rust, but it has a whitish color like aluminum, not bright like steel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts