Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best bird to hunt with a .410?

Best,
Randy

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
If you are willing to keep your shots close you could hunt quail, dove, woodcock or snipe. Anything that could be killed with no. 9 shot could be hunted with a .410. There are almost 300 pellets in a 1/2 ounce load of no. 9's.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Woodland grouse were designed for the 410. 8) I usually use #6 shot but on rare occassion use #7 1/2.

I havn't hunted quail in years but a 410 was my primary quail gun. Again, 6 and sometimes 7 1/2 shot.

As soon as the rains move out long enough for the ground to dry, we will be cutting 90+ acres of corn. Those fields will come alive with dove and a 410 will be one of, but not the only, dove gun that I will use.

Since you asked best, I would say grouse is best.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Growing up, we hunted everything with 410 3" #6. I thought that was the only shell made for the 410 until I started buying my own. I've tried 4's but went back to 6's...used 7.5's on farm pheasant with no problems but for wild pheasant in close,6's will do the job.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
A bobwhite, sitting on the ground, asleep, 15 yards away :roll:

BT

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Everybody else is giving dumb answer's so I will too.

Best bird to hunt with a .410.....any bird with feathers.

Seriously, a .410 is my favorite gun for quail.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Dove, snipe, quill, etc, Most smaller birds inside of 15 or 20 yards. If you pattern your 410 with the shells and at different distances you will realize that the 410 has very limited range compared to other guns, but you will also find that the 410 is quite deadly when its limitations are not pushed.

·
Registered
257 Posts
If you can discipline yourself to pass up shots beyond 25 yards or so, a .410 will kill any game bird. Much beyond that and the pattern just gets too sparse to ensure clean kills.

Every gun has a limit beyond which pellet spread makes it ineffective, and the seasoned hunter knows that limit and stays within it. I've hunted with guys with 12 gauges who keep shooting even when a flushed bird is over 50 yards downrange, and nearly every shotgun becomes a crippler at those distances.

·
Registered
490 Posts
.410 to bird hunt with?

I would never recommend using this round on Upland bird hunting.

Some folks on this thread have given reasons why you could use a .410 or where they use a .410, but virtually all have placed some caveat on their limited endorsement.

Too much potential for harming/crippling birds instead of clean kills.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have been taking the neighbor boy to a pheasant hunting lodge for the last two years. He is very small and thin. He thinks my 1100 sporting in 410 is the hammer of god. If a pheasant shows any head or neck on the flush he will usually kill it before I can even mount my gun. If the bird is flying straight away I back him up with my 12 gauge. It is amazing what he can do with that gun. Of course I never told him
most everyone believes it is impossible.

Charles

1 - 20 of 43 Posts