Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
There are more than one. I use a Browning Gold 3 1/2" MOSG with DuraTouch. For me this is the best waterfowl model. Others that I would shoot if I did not have the Gold would be. Benelli SBE,SBE II, Beretta Xtrema,Xtrema II, Franchi 912, or the Winchester SX2 (3 1/2"). All of these are well made and reliable guns that are geared for waterfowling.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Do you have a price limit in mind? If not I think I would have one custom made... :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
The afore mentioned autoloaders are all good choices but keeping them clean is essential. They are all also fairly expensive. I would have to give the nod to the Browning BPS Stalker, argueabley the finest pump gun made today. Great quality and reliability at an affordable price.

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
In my opinion the Browning A5 Magnum(with a Japanese barrel) is the best waterfowl gun. However,if I were a young man buying my first gun for waterfowling today,I'd get a Bennelli SBEII for an auto or a Browning BPS 3 inch if a pump was my choice.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Is that a loaded question or what :shock:
You can expect as many answers as there are guys on this forum.
But the real answer is,,, whatever one you can hit a duck with,,,,, or learn to shoot the one you have.

But of course my Browning Superposed is the best duck gun ever made :roll: :roll: :roll:

tom

·
Registered
484 Posts
Also, don't think the gun of choice has to be 3 1/2 chambered. All of these fine guns mentioned have 3 in. models that are more than adequate with todays advanced non-toxic loads. Take your time and fondle and shoot as many as you can. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I use a Beretta 391 Urika (chambered for 3" or 2 3/4" shells) shooting either Bismuth or hevi shot for goose and ducks. It's been a great waterfowl gun for me.

May of the guys I shoot w/ use:
Benelli SBE, M1, Nova
Remington 870 & 1187 3 1/2 super mag (I think that's what it's called)
Browning Citori Lightning & A5 (the old school ones use the A5)
Beretta 686 SP, 391 and Xtrema (1 & 2)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well wow,

I want to talk cheap, since well that is what I can afford. Well 300-500 being cheap. The all around best I bet in this price range is a Nova. I say this because it chambers 2 3/4 - 3 1/2 shells, is composite so you don't care about dropping it from time to time, and well heck what other gun can you dig your own goose pit with. That said, I don't have one, my old man does, I have a Winchester 1300. I like it cause it is lighter and I love wood stocks. I can get mad at scratches in that wood, prone in duck hunting and I can't shoot above 3" shells. But overall I kill more birds then my buddies. Just get what fits you as a person, and then fit your price range, if you can afford more get more but look to the major brands with good reps. As a note, I have a friend with a Mosburg 500, don't get it, I really hate that gun, too many problems and poor fit in general.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Best is a subjective term but track records and popularity speak for themselves. After you have been given opinions for ten different guns consider that probably as many Remington 870s are out there in the marsh as all the rest combined.

SH

·
Registered
1 Posts
eswanny said:
Well wow,

I want to talk cheap, since well that is what I can afford. Well 300-500 being cheap. The all around best I bet in this price range is a Nova. I say this because it chambers 2 3/4 - 3 1/2 shells, is composite so you don't care about dropping it from time to time, and well heck what other gun can you dig your own goose pit with. That said, I don't have one, my old man does, I have a Winchester 1300. I like it cause it is lighter and I love wood stocks. I can get mad at scratches in that wood, prone in duck hunting and I can't shoot above 3" shells. But overall I kill more birds then my buddies. Just get what fits you as a person, and then fit your price range, if you can afford more get more but look to the major brands with good reps. As a note, I have a friend with a Mosburg 500, don't get it, I really hate that gun, too many problems and poor fit in general.
I have shot a winchester 1300 for as long as I can remember and have never felt that it was inadequet (chambered in 3"). Two weeks ago I filled my limit on Honkers in less than three hours shooting plain steel BB three inch shell. Alot of people tend to blame the lack of kill shots that they make on steel shot, but from my experience it usually is due to poor shots, and slitelly off decoy spreads. The key is getting the birds in the right spot and holding your shots untill the are just about to land. It takes thoughs big birds awhile to change their momentum. On the other hand I am about to buy a SX2 because Winchester is offering a hundred dollar rebate on them until January, and I finally am out of college and can afford one!

Don't rush to conclusions, a gun is only as good as you make it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just as a note, I love my 1300. For all the above mentioned reasons and I too have killed a fair share of honkers, ducks, and pheasants (maybe more then my fair share there). I was saying cheap only in cost, quality is there in such guns. A lot just has to do with the person behind it ^o^

·
Registered
115 Posts
I like pumps for their reliability and simplicity. Overall, the gun that fits you best, that comes up and seats where it should, and swings natually, that's the one for you.

I'm a fairly big guy (6'5") and the Browning BPS fits me best.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been using a Browning O/U to hunt waterfowl for the last 30 years and it has done a great job. Last mo I bought a Baikal MP 153 and I have to tell you it is a very good gun and a pleasure to shoot. [ $288.00 }

·
Registered
119 Posts
Be smarter than I was!
Bought a new Mossberg 935 thinking $500. wasn't to much to beat up in the boat.
Piece of S**T.
Failure to feed was the norm, first shell would fire then the second would jam against the front of ejection port.
Heres the great thing. When you pull the bolt back to free it then hit the bolt release to chamber it the last shell in the mag would fly out the bottom.
Also broke the new and improved piece of junk plastic that fits under the forearm. Called for a new one and it only took three weeks.
Gun had already been returned to walmart and have a Extrema arriving today.
Is it worth saving a couple hundred on a gun that jams after you have waited hours in freezing conditions and have a wad of ducks come in and only get one shot????

Brad

1 - 17 of 17 Posts