Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's mine, a carp I caught at 7:30 a.m. yesterday morning. I didn't measure its length and I didn't have a scale either but I would guess it was at least 15 lbs.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Almost forgot,
The pole is a Berkley lightning rod, the reel is a Mitchell Avocet. I was using corn on a 1/0 hook on 14 lb Spider Wire monofilament.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Large fish is a 180 lb tarpon that I caught using conventional gear. No photos available.

Largest fish I ever caught on a fly rod is a 50 lb Blue Fin tuna that I caught using a 14 wt. fly rod. It was like casting a broom stick.

My Avatar shows my other passion is chasing striped bass with a fly rod. The largest striper I ever caught was a 28 lb. cow last June fishing off of Martha's Vineyard

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
My biggest salt water fish was a tuna caught in the Gulf close to twenty years ago. Most recent were a matching pair of Wahoos caught off of the Outer Banks of NC.
Largest fresh water fish was striper caught while chunking topwater baits one night on Smith Mountain Lake in Va. The scales(which weren't very good) had it at around 30lbs. When it hit, it got the line over it's shoulders and headed for deep water. All I could do was hang on while it pulled drag and the bass boat I was in. Thankfully we got it to the boat and netted before it got too worn down. It was released.

HWD

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Striper,
As a still bungling and cussing beginner flyfisher, I gotta say YER MY HERO! Fish like that on a flyrod would about stop my heart! I've had some serious fluttering going on while bringing smallmouths and trout to net. I'd be willing to temp fate though...

HWD

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Striped Marlin, 170 or so. Next biggest was a wahoo, around 80, as a guesstimate. Bunch of 40+ ling (cobia).

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very impressive guys. Looks like I am going to have to take up lake and and saltwater fishing.

stripersonfly said:
huntswithdogs,

...I can get just as pumped up catching a nice small mouth or trout.
Me too. Smallmouth put up a good fight and are fun to catch.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I have caught several trout in the 7lb range, on fly rod, spinning tackle and one through the ice. Our mane fishing here is brown, brook trout, sea run and fresh water ponds. I love it.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I tail hooked a 68lbs. paddle fish in the fast water below Gavins Point Dam while standing on ice covered rocks, nearly went for a swim. It's been a while ago, 25 yrs this coming fall. Sorry no pics on computer.

I'm just a bit envious of all you fly fisherman, I always wanted to learn but I'm afraid it's too late.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Jon67 said:
I tail hooked a 68lbs. paddle fish in the fast water below Gavins Point Dam while standing on ice covered rocks, nearly went for a swim. It's been a while ago, 25 yrs this coming fall. Sorry no pics on computer.

I'm just a bit envious of all you fly fisherman, I always wanted to learn but I'm afraid it's too late.
If you are healthy enough to move around a little and cast a fly rod, I wouldn't think it is too late. I plan to do it until I can't walk or cast. As far as learning technique, It must not be too tough when you look at the number of people doing it. Why too late?

Fly fishing is tough here, right now, as there is a way too much water. I think, next week, I will do some jigging for walleye. The lakes are also very high, but some fish are being caught.

Tail hooked a 68 lb. fish! From having tail hooked smaller ones, that must of been some battle!

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Not a monster marlin by any stretch, but it was fun.

Deckhand had to hold it for the pic prior to release...my arms were tuckered out.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Biggest ever was a 29" Walleye

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
My biggest was a 25 lb Northern Pike I caught in Germany back in 1990. Unfortunately I no longer have access to the pictures.

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
The biggest fish I ever caught in fresh water is a 34 lb 3oz. chinook caught on a #9 shad rap by the W.E.P.C.O. in Port washington WI. durring the fall run. That happened over a decade ago, Lake Michigan fishing isn't what it used to be imo.

My biggest ever is an estimated 125 lb blue marlin caught out of Cozumel Mexico when I was a strapping young lad of 18 years old, it wasn't to exiting though because the of the ratio of line lb test to fish weight.

Tn Jim, I didn't know that they have N. Pike in Germany. A 25 lb northern is BIG fish, even here in musky country!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.