Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize everyone has their favorites, but I was wondering what you feel the cleanest burning powder is for 12ga and 28 ga. primarily for target loads.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
For 12 ga, Hodgdon Clays is tough to beat. If you think it's pretty clean, Red Dot must have changed since I used it - after 100 rounds, the gun was covered in black soot, your hands were black, and the inside of the barrels looked like the stovepipe on an old kerosene heater.

Any of the single-base powders will burn cleaner than a double-base powder.

For a 28, I've heard that Universal Clays is very clean - no first hand experience, though... I only load 12 & 20 - but for a 20 ga target load, I use International Clays, and it's cleaner than green dot (again, I haven't used green dot for about 8 years).

·
Registered
520 Posts
Clays is very clean. Any of the Dot powders I have used are dirty.

APEXDUCK

·
Registered
658 Posts
I agree with Hawkeye, but I also think the latest iterations of Red Dot are cleaner burning than formerly. A guy I know who reloads a lot of shells won't use anything but Red Dot for targets, because, he says, he can't get consistent velocities with Clays. And friends, this guy can SHOOT.

G

·
With out a doubt, REX II is the cleanest I've ever shot. 21.5 gr. behind 1 1/8 oz #8's and a Chedite 209 is inexpensive and so clean burning we were amazed. I love PB, and Red Dot, but I've got to tell you, Rex I and II is impressive. $ 21.00 for 2 pounds, looks like Clays and smells like old WW 452. I burned up 25 pounds now and plan to use it from now on. My sporting clays gun is a 11-87 LH Primere, and the gas system after 100 birds is so clean, it looks as if it's only fired one shot.
The fouling on my trap guns Magna-Porting shows 50 % less build up than with Red Dot. Most of our shooters out here in NM are using the powder now, or are going to change to it. More bang for your buck, and clean guns to boot!
Rob

·
Registered
51 Posts
Where do you purchase the Rex1 & 2 powder...?
Can you reload STS hulls & are their any relaod charts for 20 *****?
Bob

G

·
PB is the cleanest I've ever shot. Just costs to much. BTW Promo has got to be the dirtiest non magnum stuff I've ever used.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Go to the grafs web site and they have data for Rex powder. I get it localy from a gun shop down the road 35 miles. I pay less than $20 for a kilo can. You can do a search for a distibuter on grafs and find where to get it. Yes they have data for 20 ga. but I think it is for Rex III not II or I. I thought is smelled kind of acrid, but it sure does shoot. I too have shot over 15# of #1 and a can or two of II and III. Grafs has data for lots of hulls including STS and AAs which for all intents and purposes are interchangable!

BP

·
Registered
51 Posts
Many thanks on Info on Rex powder...
I have 3 lbs of International that i will load first though...
What is a Kilo??__
Bob

G

·
Bmaintz.......
A kilo is the metric measurment that is equivilant to 2.2 Lbs.
Rapid Rob .........
I went to Rex web site and found no info on 28 gague for AA hulls.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Bob,
Sorry it took so long to respond. Rex 0-II are three fine powders made in Hungry. The price varries but is about $21.00 for 2.2 pounds and under a hundred for 8 pounds. The powder looks just like " Clays " and is as good. 19.5-21.5 of II under 1 1/8 oz shot makes a fine trap/skeet load. The powder keeps my doubles gun, an 11-87 , gas system clean enough to shoot all weekend without having to take it apart for maintainance. I buy my powder at Bike City here in Albuquerque. Graf(SP)and Sons can tell you who in your city carries REX.
One other thing, there is a lie going around that REX powder causes rusting of the gun. I've spent 38 years of my life working with explosives and propellants, and a smokeless powder that causes rusting is BS. I tracked down the powder distributor for my state and he says that the lie started in Fla.
Imagine that. Burn off all of the oil in the chamber and action in a high humidity state, not clean the gun, and then ***** about the rust. What powder would'nt cause rust?
I'm on my 5th keg of REX II. I will continue to use it.
Rob.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
the cleanest 12 ga powder i have found is the new alliant E3. in the 28ga AA, winchester super field is mighty clean, as is universal clays. the small bores use slower powder, which is inherently dirtier than the very fast 12 ga powders.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've loaded 50 lbs of rex 2 and it is the dirtiest powder I have ever used. :shock: The bottom barrel of my k-80 was misfiring. The dealer that cleaned the gunk out around the firing pin said he has had 3 guns clogged up from shooters using rex powder.

Whoever said rex burns clean makes me wonder. :? I'm going back to american select or e3 for clean powder.

·
Registered
38 Posts
For 12 gauge, I have found that 60 grains of Pyrodex P (equal to FFFG) under a red wad shoots a lot cleaner than my usual 75 gr of GOEX FFG. Down side is not as much smoke.
Oh wait, You guys are talking about SMOKELESS powder....
That would be another story.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Do not use REX 1 in 28 ga. WAY too fast! Rex 1 performs similarly to Red Dot in many loads I shoot. Not a 28 ga powder, not even in 20 ga!

BP

1 - 20 of 23 Posts