Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remington loads "0" buckshot with 12 pellets. 0 size pellets are .32 rather than .33 like 00 (also available in 12 pellet "short magnum" loads) Do the slightly smaller 0 pellets pattern tighter or is this just a traditional hold over from when 00 only came in 9 pellet loadings? As I understand it, 0 buck has always been loaded with 12.

Just curious, ES

·
Registered
389 Posts
Ezra Smack said:
Remington loads "0" buckshot with 12 pellets. 0 size pellets are .32 rather than .33 like 00 (also available in 12 pellet "short magnum" loads) Do the slightly smaller 0 pellets pattern tighter or is this just a traditional hold over from when 00 only came in 9 pellet loadings? As I understand it, 0 buck has always been loaded with 12.

Just curious, ES
Answer above in red.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Ezra,

I suppose that "O" Buck first came along for another reason, and 12 gauge loadings had nothing to do with it!

Long before buffer or any plastic protection for buckshot came along, buckshot patterned better with a better gauge related fit to the buckshot's diameter. Early on, you would even see in load information a column that read "pellets per layer"..... Buckshot down to number 4 (.24") was loaded so many pellets per layer inside the hull......

The 12 gauge "OO" Buck were 3 pellets per layer and were .34" dia. years ago for a correct bore size fit for better patterns...
"O" Buck also ran 3 pellets to the layer with a loose bore related fit and was probably done only to achieve 12 pellets in the load without going over the maximum weight...(too much)

But even before this event took place, another gauge was very common and popular. It was the 10 gauge. The first half of the 20th Century (and probably some back into the 1800's) saw a 10 gauge 2 7/8" buckshot load offered. These loads had "O" Buck! There were 4 pellets per layer for a correct boresize fit, with 4 layers for a 16 pellet total load. This is the real reason for the .32" size over a century past now.....

Slidehammer

·
Registered
13,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info slidehammer. With a few exceptions, modern buckshot is still loaded "by the layer" #4 stacks in 7's,
#1 stacks 4 to the layer, 0 and 00 stack 3 to the layer and the big 000 pellets stack in pairs. I wonder why the 2 7/8" non magnum 10ga became obsolite. In fact, I will start another thread about that.

ES

·
Registered
13,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really prefer #1 buck. The regular 2 3/4" shells have 16 pellets and the 3" magnums have 24. Both Winchester and Remington used to load a "short magnum" that held 20 pellets but for some reason that load has been discontinued. I suspect it was because velocity was substantially lower with such a heavy payload. Also, due to poor ballistic coefficient, buckshot looses velocity very rapidly no matter how fast it is started.

ES

·
Registered
155 Posts
What is the purpose of "0" buckshot?

Answer....

To kill deer with. (Bucks)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts