Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
8,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`ve never really got into doubles much. But I`d like to try it some as I think it will improve my skeet game. I also have been using my tubed gun(20 ga tubes) in the 12 ga portion of the tourney. I`ve beat this around for a good while as what to do. I have several 1100/1187`s(sporting models) and am just not happy with those. I also have a benelli supersport that while a fine SC gun just isn`t what I want in a dedicated skeet gun. I`m also a lefty(had to I`m to left eye dominant to keep shooting right handed) and bounced around the idea of a left handed auto. But have just about decided the shell going across my face is not a distraction. I am very very partial to a raised or step type rib and trap type stock. The only two guns that appear to fit that bill are the beretta trap models(I prefer the teckny`s gold) or a 1100 trap. With the nod going with the beretta.

I guess my questions are: barrel length suggestions? ( I normally shoot a 30 inch O/U but do have a 28 inch back up) I found a smoking deal on a gold beretta but its a 32 inch barrel. But that`s long I think.

Never shot a beretta auto(other than the occasional type thing)....suggestions on those. Any after market suggestions as to wieghting the gun etc. triggers?

Haven`t completely ruled out a remington 1100 with a step barrel. I am much more familiar with those. Any suggestions? My thoughts are with that is I`m going to have to actually build a gun and may have as much in it as a new beretta when done. How would that concern you?

Just trying to get as much info as I can. Several fine local shooters have gave some good advice but more can`t hurt.......

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
Chris,
Were it me, I would shoot my tubed gun in 20 ga. and never look back. The alternative to that is to shoot the gun you have with a barrel weight to simulate the weight and balance of the gun with tubes in it. OR, (depending on what brand gun you shoot), get another barrel fitted, (heavy barrel), that will match the weight of the tubed barrel, to shoot in 12 ga.

I don't think there is any advantage in going to an auto for doubles. Shooting one gun, with one weight and balance, one trigger pull, and one gun fit, will do better for the average shooter, than anything else you might do. Using the auto for doubles means all these things are at least somewhat different. Not a good thing.

DLM

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
I've been there and tried that. I'll sum my experiences and observations by saying this: there are very few shooters who can make 2 guns work at the same time (auto/o.u). Those who do shoot a lot of practice with both and at least one told me that she loves to shoot her Beretta auto but she does think it hurts her when she goes back to the Kolar for the other guns. Do you have the time and money to practice enough with both guns? Are you willing to take a slight improvement (if any) in your 12 and doubles scores to the detriment of your 20, 28, and 410 scores? These are questions you must answer and for these and the reasons noted by Mr. Marcum above I put down the auto and am a one-gun guy once again. Two other shooters from Utah recently made that decision as well. FWIW. Keep us informed!

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
And let us not forget that eiderz just broke 1250/1250 in the 12 gauge event this year shooting the yellow bullets. Notice also that he shot 1099/1100 in the 20 event. Notice also that he ties for High Average Leader with Mike Schmidt in the 12, wins it outright in the 20, and also takes the HOA and HAA awards for the year. I don't think there's any need to shoot a 12 for 12 or doubles.

·
Registered
71 Posts
All I'm going to say is that after years of "feeling more comfortable" shooting my 11-87 at doubles...

I missed on station 5 with it at the Zone 7 shooting off for the 12 Gauge Championship.

I shot my lowest three scores during the year in the 12 Gauge using the 11-87, (I also shot a 100 with it for the first time).

And, I shot my best ever doubles with my O/U using 1oz 20 gauge.

I think the old girl will be getting a rest at skeet for some time to come.

But she is my sporting clays companion.

G

·
That is real stout shooting by Eiderz. And no wimping out. He took the conditions as he found them. I would be inclined to pay attention to about anything he had to say skeet-related. The man walks the walk.

·
Banned
8,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK I`ve read the responces so far. Would they be the same for a A or B shooter. I think most of those responding are AA or AAA.

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
Chris
Class has nothing to do with it. Your personal ability to shoot and everybody else's is reflected in the reasons mentioned, and it doesn't matter if you are AA class or D class, the principal is still the same.

Apparently you aren't hearing what you want to hear, but that's the way it is, no matter your skill level.

If you want to use an Auto for 12 ga. and Doubles, you had better start doubling and tripleing the amount of practice you do, because you are going to need it if you want to excell using two totally different guns.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Would you rather be an A/B shooter or an AA/AAA shooter? And whose advice would you rather take on how to make the best/most out of your game?

·
Registered
507 Posts
CBX,

It sounds like you are at the crossroad almost all 4 gun skeet shooters reach. There are sound reasons for either decision, sticking with your 20 gauge or using a 12 auto, some of which have been stated above. What I like about your approach to the problem is that you are willing to experiment and you are thinking things through rather than just throwing money at it. Most if not all of the best shooters in the three clay games have experimented extensively to learn what works for them and to quiet the nagging little voices that make them doubt their equipment. Confidence is a key component in good shooting, like the old saying says "whether you think you can or you can't, you're right".

If you intend to use an auto I suggest focusing on getting one that feels as much like your tubed gun as possible. Don't focus so much on barrel length as on gun fit, balance and dynamics when compared to the o/u. The closer they are in overall feel the easier it will be to switch back and forth. Good luck.

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
Chris,

If I have you pegged right, you carried a pretty hot stick in the 12 ga. events, in the latter part of '06 and the early part of '07. What were you shooting then for the 12 ga. events, 12 or 20??

DLM

·
Banned
8,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
D L Marcum said:
Chris,

If I have you pegged right, you carried a pretty hot stick in the 12 ga. events, in the latter part of '06 and the early part of '07. What were you shooting then for the 12 ga. events, 12 or 20??

DLM
Oh no....you positively have that wrong. I`m just the run of the mill A/B shooter. Just felt I was leaving something at the plate by using a 20 ga.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
cbxchris said:
Oh no....you positively have that wrong. I`m just the run of the mill A/B shooter. Just felt I was leaving something at the plate by using a 20 ga.
As long as you feel this way, you must experiment, as eiderz taught above. Once you know you are leaving nothing on the table with the 20, then you have reached enlightenment!

:D

Have fun experimenting! I did and I'm glad I did it. There is nothing more important for the success of your game than absolute confidence in you, your methods and your equipment. You are on the path to enlightenment. Keep on!

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
If I can't get my 20 tubes to shoot where I need'em to shoot, and the price of lead doesn't come down... I"m going to shoot 28 for the 12-20-28 and doubles. As it stands, the 20 tubes shoot about 4-5" higher than all my other tubes, and it makes a big difference in my scores.

bd

·
Banned
8,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess one of the reason`s I asked about auto`s is watching several local AAA ahooters. One is a former state/zone champion and one has a son many times world champ and a dang good shooter himself. All shooting auto`s in the 12 ga and doubles. I think as with many things everyone has to see what fits them. In my case I just don`t know because I haven`t shot enough to find out yet. I`d guess those AAA shooter`s have decided a auto is in thier best interest. I`ll let ya lnow what I decide.....thanks for the interest and help

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
bel_dad said:
If I can't get my 20 tubes to shoot where I need'em to shoot,
bd
I seem to have that problem as well. My guns don't shoot where I need em to shoot, at least once or twice every round, at different stations............ :shock: An I'm SURE its the gun, not me. :wink: :lol:

·
Banned
8,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
EyeMissum said:
bel_dad said:
If I can't get my 20 tubes to shoot where I need'em to shoot,
bd
I seem to have that problem as well. My guns don't shoot where I need em to shoot, at least once or twice every round, at different stations............ :shock: An I'm SURE its the gun, not me. :wink: :lol:
Once or twice :lol: :shock: You know how to count? :p 8)

Yeah we both have the same problem and that`s my story too! 8) :D

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
"...That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!"

BD, if your tubes are that far off, send them back to Briley. They'll fix it. Otherwise ... we need to talk.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts