Shotgun Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Premium Member
5,270 Posts
bd--See the two posts immediately prior to mine for explanation of my "that's my story" comment. Also, it's the name of a country song from a few years back. Don't know who sang it, but it's a good one.

· Registered
6,807 Posts
Years ago I shot tubes in the sub-gauges and used either an SX-1 or an 1100 in the 12 and Doubles events. Even if you can get the dynamics and feel close to that of the tubed gun, you've still got the "action of the action" to deal with. I often found the crashin' and bangin' of the cycling semi-auto disconcerting until I got used to it, and that usually took at least half a box. :? (Back in the day when skeet was flourishing, a warm-up practice round wasn't always possible.)

Some can switch without skipping a beat, but for me it was always a struggle to get through that first box. If I could somehow stumble through (run) the first round, the rest was usually a piece of cake.

· Registered
7,623 Posts
Bobby U won't shoot 20 ga in any 12 ga allowed event, to him it seems like an intentional handicap. We can all point to others at his level who do shoot 20 in 12 ga events.

Likewise, many of us has seen some great doubles shooters, like Waynes Mayes, I believe Kirkman, Hayes Hauford, Bobby D., etc who shoot autos for doubles and 12 ga. At the same time, many like Todd B and Bobby U do not switch guns.

I am not even close to being in the same category as these guys, but I gave up trying to shoot an auto in 12 ga allowed events for the reason SS pointed out, I just don't switch guns well. Also, my Kolar at 10lb 4 oz with a perfect fit just does not bother me with respect to recoil. Neither does a K80 at 9 lb 14 oz I recently purchased. I know others who come out to the range with a different gun every week and they never miss a beat and still others for whom no gun in the world is soft enough for them to want to shoot 1 1/8 12 ga.

This is all in the area of person decisions and nobody else can tell you what will work best for you.

These

· Registered
207 Posts
Back in the 80's and early 90's when I was AAA across the board I tried the auto's with little to no sucess. I shot my tubed O/U 20ga. in all 12ga events. This year with little practice I was fortunate enough to make it to the world shoot, first time since children :D . I didn't have much to lose so I took my Beretta 303 and shot it very well, I will not mention my doubles score but in 12ga but I got'em in the mini and missed one in the main for 349/350 for 12 ga targets. I was very pleased, then I picked up my tubed 682 and it felt like a totally different gun. Not Good.....When I start shooting tournaments next year the 303 will stay at home.....as always. I have been playing with some 7/8 oz loads in the 12 ga and I might shoot my O/U in the 12 ga events.
Mark.

G

·
Mark I have friends here in Jersey that shoot lights-out with 7/8 loads in the O/U big gun. It is really a viable way to go. The patterns are very nice, the target breaks perfect. The only reason I do not do it myself is because to simulate my tubed gun I have to hang weight on it. PITA to get the same feel and weight. Also I have to buy different powder and wads and......stuff. I keep it simple by shooting the 20 in 3 events.

Sweet shooting btw at the world with your autoloader. Getting them all can only be next.

· Registered
489 Posts
I know a few dedicated trap shooters using 7/8 oz loads for ALL their 16 yd targets.

DISCLAIMER...... NEW to skeet, still shooting in the 95% area, BUT have shot a lot of trap in the past.

I used 7/8 oz reloads recently in my 12ga for a few rds of skeet and was quite impressed. Low recoil and broke targets just fine. I've used 1 oz loads for trap for both 16yd and 25 yd HCP. Never felt I gave up much. But DID gain by not taking such a beating.

FN in MT

· Registered
7,623 Posts
Hi Smokeball...yeah, yeah, yeah...I heard the whole thing from Steve Phillips at Krieghoff yesterday! He's been busting my b*lls about this for the past four years he has sponsored the NS. LOL :lol: :wink:

Its funny, I have only taken it out to shoot maybe 6 times or so. Its 30" vs 28" for the Kolars and the weird thing is the only place I'm having any real issues is high house long incomers...don't know why, but the picture I have for those stations is not really working well. No problem on H2, 3, or 4...but H5 and 6...isn't that silly. I'm sure some trigger time will take care of this...the Kolar still feels like old comfortable shoes and the K80...well, not yet.

Cheers

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.