Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I don't duck hunt.....yet so I can't answer this one but I hope to soon. However I can say that when my A-5 was my grandfathers and you could use lead shot for ducks it killed more than I am sure I ever will.

What is your favorite? This I really want to know since I hope to soon be buying a new water fowl gun.

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
My favorite waterfowl gun is my Ithaca Mag-10. My most practical is my Beretta 390 in 12 ga. I use my target Citori for ducks if shooting over water or anyplace else I may have problems finding the empties. I bought a synthetic SX-2 last spring that may replace the Beretta as a main gun. I like using my small bores on ducks but that is not as an eficient way of doing so as using a 12 or 10 ga. Plus bismuth or tungsten shot is rather expensive and steel is not available in adequate, large sizes.

·
Super Moderator
2,462 Posts
My favorite would be my Franchi 48AL 12ga Mag. Unfortunately, I had custom choke tubes (not steel shot compatible) put in it about 20 yrs ago, just after I uttered the phrase "They'll never make us shoot steel shot out here in these corn fields." So, I do most of my waterfowling now with my 2nd favorite - 10ga SanMarco O/U.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I've literally never seen an auto that didn't have problems in muddy duck hunting conditions, other than the above poster, so I would give my nod to either an 870 or BPS (I own one of each). You can throw muck in them and they will still operate. In tight quarters I'll give the nod to the BPS due to its bottom ejection which doesn't shuck shells all over the blind, and I personally like the top tang safety on a BPS also, as well as the beefier wrist on the stock. The factory 870 has a narrow wrist, although I replaced mine with a Knoxx recoil reduction stock, which has a rubberized palm swell grip and forend which I really like. It is pretty much indestructible, and a great turkey gun too with its mossy oak camo. For strictly ducks, the shadowgrass BPS is sweet too.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Two choices for me. Remmington SP10 for big birds like geese and swan. Ruger Red Label 12 for ducks. I've shot big stuff out of the Ruger but now stick to 1 1/4 oz 2 3/4in loads of steel. The Bismuth 1 5/8 oz 3 inch loads are just too expensive and just smack the heck out of me in the Ruger.

APEXDUCK

·
Registered
476 Posts
I do alot of duck and goose hunting and I use a Winchester model 1400 with a 30in. full barrel for ducks and a mossberg 835 with a 26in barrel with ex-full stell shot choke for geese. I know everyone wants the biggest, best most expensive gun but I like to hunt with something a little less expensive that will still get the job done just in case something happens. That way when the guns falls out of the boat into a river I won't have to put a lean on my house to replace it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm not a duck hunter...mostly dove, but I can tell you what gun I hate for waterfowl...my friends single shot 10g...doesn't even have a name on it...he bought it from a gun show for $75. I would not suggest buying one like that no matter how cheap they are! OUCH is all I can say....

G

·
My favorite is my 20 gauge 870 Express Magnum, it has a wood stock and forearm on it right now and it is a youth model, I havn't really went duck hunting yet, but I'm going to get a stock and forearm kit for it so it will not be youth anymore. I'm gonna buy one of those camoflauge stock and forearm kits, and then it will be my duck gun. For dove I use my Browning Turkey Stalker.

G

·
The Browning Gold Turkey Stalker is a Browning Gold Stalker but it came with the turkey sights on it, good recoil pad,sling swivel,24" barrel, and extra full choke. I took the sights off of it because it isn't very good for dove hunting, but when I go turkey hunting I will put them back on there, and I put a modified choke in it for dove hunting, so it is pretty much my dove gun because I don't really go turkey hunting at all. But nevertheless it is a great gun for all kinds of hunting.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Dear austin, it sounds like you have got your guns mixed up. You might try the browning for ducks and the 20ga. for doves.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Beretta AL390 synthetic for ducks on the local creeks and Mossberg 835 (earlier non-ported version) for geese. If the weather is really ugly the 835 gets the nod simply because it's easier to dry out and clean than the Beretta.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.