Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently became hooked on pheasant hunting...now I am itching for a new gun. I have tried an over/under and liked it. I am hoping to get the best gun I can for around $1000-$1200. Something I can pass down to my son someday. Any suggestions? New vs used? I am fairly certain I want a 12 gauge. I have looked at Ruger Red label (new), Franchi Alcione Titanium (new), and Browning Citori Lightning (used). I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
pheasantpro said:
I recently became hooked on pheasant hunting...now I am itching for a new gun. I have tried an over/under and liked it. I am hoping to get the best gun I can for around $1000-$1200. Something I can pass down to my son someday. Any suggestions? New vs used? I am fairly certain I want a 12 gauge. I have looked at Ruger Red label (new), Franchi Alcione Titanium (new), and Browning Citori Lightning (used). I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks!
The SKB 505 and Weatherby Orion can be had for around $1000 street price, new. Like the Ruger and Franchi, these guns can be noisy when opened and closed. The Remington 332 is also in that price range and I like that gun--though I am in the minority with that opinion.
...j

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
The Browning Citori can be had new in the box for $1350 plus tax. That isn't all that far out of your price range and is certainly something that you will be able to pass down to your son. If you can't swing the extra bucks, look at the used market. All things considered, the Browning is still one of the very best deals out there, new or used.

Frank

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
By all means check out Berettas. I'm not sure there are any new ones out there for less than $1200, but there ought to be some darned good used ones. They have similar reliability and brand recognition to Browning, but the action is more trim and the guns tend to be lighter, which is nice when you are carrying it all day.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
pheasantpro said:
Thanks for your thoughts...I will check those out. Is there any major downside to a clean, used gun?
In California used type 3 Citoris seem to sell for not much less than the sale price on a new Citori Lightning. About twice per year Sportmart/Gart/Oshmans has a 10% off sale on firearms and they usually have a Citori Lightning and the Winchester Select Field discounted to ~$1200. The used Citoris that I see for $700-900 tend to be older, fixed choke type 1 or type 2. For a couple hundred more dollars I would rather have the new Orion. If you know someone with a like-new, used type 3 Citori with Invector or Invector Plus chokes for well under $1000 that would be worth a look. If you live near Dick's, BassPro or Gander Mountain there is probably no reason to buy used.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a used ruger for under a thousand and it is fantastic! I was fortunate in being able to handle and even shoot it prior to purchase. I would not hesitate to purchase any used gun so long as it is in good condition. Best case scenario is the one I experienced...being able to handle and shoot the firearm prior to purchase. Most reputable dealers will allow you to have an inspection period on a used firearm.
I will be looking for a 20 gauge to go with my 12 in the next year or so, and I will also try to find a good clean used one.
I really like the Franchi, have shot one in 12 and was impressed. Good luck to ya!

Mike :D

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
From your list I would go with the used Browning. I actually prefer buying a used gun over a new one. On a O/U it would be nice if you could shoot it for POI of the 2 barrels if it is used. Can't do that with a new gun.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm new here, but I think that the Citori is hard to beat for the money. You should see a few in Gunlist for under a grand.

The Lightening model makes a sweet field gun.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I'm a strong supporter of the Ruger Red Label...but if it's a choice between buying a new gun and a used one is excellent condition, I often opt for the used gun. In this case the Citori might really be the "best buy."

I'll qualify that with "get the gun the fits you best!" I just can't emphasize enough that no matter how much you spend for the gun, if it doesn't fit you well, you won't be happy. So handle as many different makes and models as you can, shoot them if possible, and then make up your mind. That old addage about "marry in haste, repent at leisure" holds true with shotguns, too. Take your time...get what you want.

good luck

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
claysmoker said:
By all means check out Berettas. I'm not sure there are any new ones out there for less than $1200, but there ought to be some darned good used ones. They have similar reliability and brand recognition to Browning, but the action is more trim and the guns tend to be lighter, which is nice when you are carrying it all day.
I totally agree! I would just get a used one and you should be able to find one on these sites:

www.gunbroker.com
www.auctionarms.com
www.gunsamerica.com

If you can't find one, send me an email next month I have a light 12g 686 SP 28" barrel that I am thinking of selling (it has all the chokes and a hard shell case in is in 9.5 out of 10 shape).

·
Registered
905 Posts
The Browning 12ga O/U's are just too big to suit me for an upland gun. I'd opt for a 28" Beretta Ultralight 12ga. Shop around, buy a new one. Maybe by the time you decide you want a 16ga (best choice), Beretta will have one on the market. Until then, a Citori 16 is good choice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have you seen anything on Traditions? I have an opportunity to buy one well below MSRP and am wondering on the quality and reliability of this gun?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Springer said:
Have you seen anything on Traditions? I have an opportunity to buy one well below MSRP and am wondering on the quality and reliability of this gun?
Dude, 3 times is enough. Go read my answer.

·
Registered
371 Posts
In a new gun a Franchi, Orion, or Winchester Select Field would be good guns for the money. A used clean Citori or Beretta would be a good bet. The biggest advantage of a used B gun is if you decide to upgrade you can resale it and you will lose very little if anything. On the other hand if you were to buy a cheap import and decided to unload it you will take a big hit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts