Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was stationed overseas in the early 70's and had the opportunity to purchase a SKB 12 ga. 28"barrel with a beautiful, custom cut monte carlo stock for-I hate to say it-$300.00.
I've decided to give sporting clays a try and I was thinking of sending the gun to Carlsons to get choke tubes installed and the forcing cone recut.

Now for the questions.

1. Has anyone had Carlsons do any work?

2. I don't even know what version SKB I have. The only info on the gun besides choke designation and the serial number are the letters SKB and then below it the letters CM6xxxxx. The six is the first of the serial number that matches the serial number(minus the CM) on the long tang of the trigger guard. I seem to have a distant memory of the previous owner saying it was a 600 but heck that was long ago.

3. Any idea as to the worth of the old gal? The receiver has a satin gray/silver kind of finish with very nice engraving covering almost all of the sides and bottom.

4. Anyone see any problems with me having choke tubes installed?

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
Carlson's does exellent work. I have used them many times and have always been pleased.

You do not say if your gun is a single shot,auto,SxS or O/U. SKB Model 600s were O/U shotguns with a silvered finish( very few were also blued,too) on the receiver and upgraded wood (from the 500 series). The 600 was offered with a Monte Carlo stock on the Trap and Doubles variations.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man, I can't believe I did that-what a DA!

It is in fact an O/U that is blued but for the receiver. The stock was cut out of a special ordered piece of walnut from Fajen or some company that was already famous in the early 70's for nice wood. so that can't be used to determine the model.

The receiver is almost completely covered with engraving that is obviously hand cut. There is also some very light scroll engraving on the edge of the top barrel where it contacts the receiver when the gun is in battery.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
43 Posts
All the SKB's I have seen had the model no. on the Barells, Sounds like a 600 with some custom work.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
The SKBs were very popular in Europe for GIs stationed there. I ordered a 3 barrel set at the Rod and Gun club for a friend and drooled all over them when they arrived. Don't know why SKB did not include a 12 gauge with that set, but they didn't. Anyway, I was wondering what Rod and Gun club you bought this at?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1. Thanks for the info on Carlson's-I called them today to set up my shipment.

2. Could you say where specifically the model number is located on the barrel?

3. Actually, I was stationed in Guam in the early 70's and I bought the gun from my immediate supervisor. I can't remember if he picked it up in Japan, Germany or the Phillipines!

Any ideas what its worth or where I could look to find info on it's value? Not a mark on the metal or the stock. I've looked on the net until I'm blue in the face-no luck!

Thanks again for the info!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts