Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using 1 1/8oz number 5s (not plated) at about 1225fps for my Minnesota and Dakotas hunts. What do you folks like to use?

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Just about the same thing, except a little hotter.... 1-1/8 oz #5, 1350 fps... mod choke early in the season when they hold tight, full choke late in the season (when they start to get up on the other side of a 40).

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Wild Pheasants 1oz Remington Shurshot #6 20 ***** imp/mod
Pen Raised 1oz Winchester Heavy Dove #7.5 20 ***** imp

G

·
I usually use #6 when using an ounce and an eighth of shot at 1250 fps or so. It is my favorite prairie grouse and early season/first shot pheasant load. I generally step up to 1 1/4 oz when using #5 or larger shot at about the same speed. I usually use plated #6 shot in the 28 or 1 ounce 20 ga load. I generally use Mod and Mod, ocasionally IC/mod or mod/full depending on ***** and conditions. A little under two months and pheasant season will be upon us.

·
Registered
412 Posts
In my Sweet Sixteen, I use Remington Express Long Range with 1 1/8oz loads of #6's. My Dad used to put #5's through it, but I haven't been able to find those lately. He liked the 5's. He always said that they pack just a little more punch and the difference in shot count was insignificant. He sure shot alot of birds with it, so I used the same recipe as long as I could. Never could hit 'em like Dad though...

·
Registered
20,533 Posts
For pheasants, 4's, 5's, or 6's depending on the hunting conditions. If you've got a shot at the south end of a north bound bird, 7.5's just won't cut it unless you're right on top of the bird.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anonymous said:
I usually use #6 when using an ounce and an eighth of shot at 1250 fps or so. It is my favorite prairie grouse and early season/first shot pheasant load. I generally step up to 1 1/4 oz when using #5 or larger shot at about the same speed. I usually use plated #6 shot in the 28 or 1 ounce 20 ga load. I generally use Mod and Mod, ocasionally IC/mod or mod/full depending on ***** and conditions. A little under two months and pheasant season will be upon us.
Which company has plated 1oz 28ga loads? Or are these handoaded?

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
Sorry, I had forgotten to log in. The 1 oz load was for the 20 ga. I only use 3/4 oz in the 28. The 1 oz 28 ga loads are real dogs and I have had much better results with the lighter load, especially on pheasants. I handload most my shells, I have used the Federal Premiums with great results and they would be the ones I would recommend for factory loads. I prefer loads in the 1250 fps range and that is nearly 150 fps faster than one can get from the 1 oz 28 ga.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I use high brass 6's in all my shotguns (12, 20, and 28 gauges). I don't care which manufacturer, they must be high brass 6's. For some reason I miss a lot more birds with low brass field loads.

In the 28gauge i have been using the 1oz loads, same as Uglydog, but I like them better than the light loads. But this was after I switched from mod/full chokes to imp. cyl/mod chokes in my Ruger. I just bought a Mec Jr. reloader and a friend and I worked up a load of 3/4oz 6's over 14.1 grains of WSF powder that I can't wait to try in the field.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR HUNTING SEASON!!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
:D I use #6 for everything except Dove. For Dove I get the cheapest #7 or #8 shell I can find because it's all shooting and very little hitting and I'm the guy who used to teach marksmanship. I just like to shoot and hope something falls.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
uglydog said:
Sorry, I had forgotten to log in. The 1 oz load was for the 20 ga. I only use 3/4 oz in the 28. The 1 oz 28 ga loads are real dogs and I have had much better results with the lighter load, especially on pheasants. I handload most my shells, I have used the Federal Premiums with great results and they would be the ones I would recommend for factory loads. I prefer loads in the 1250 fps range and that is nearly 150 fps faster than one can get from the 1 oz 28 ga.
Thanks for the clarification. I thought maybe Winchester changed thier 1oz load to plated without me noticing. I feel safe using a 3/4oz or even 11/16 oz load over dogs only if the shot is very hard, so plated is a must from the factory for fat pheasants.

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
I am rather disenchanted with most plated lead shot. In an effort to keep prices down, many companies plate soft chilled shot and sell it. This is no better than plain magnum lead shot and much more expensive. The hardest plated shot I have found is Hornady plated (which is discontinued), Winchester Lubaloy (can only get it through the local dealer if bought in 500 pound orders), and Lawrence brand (roundness can vary between lots). I have not found plated shot to perform appreciably better than hard lead in 12 or 16 gauge guns in #4 or smaller, or in the 20 ga in #6 or smaller. I do use plated shot in the 28 and 410 as I feel these guns need every advantage possible when dealing with tough pheasants.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.