Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cannot find a model number, and Remington wasn't much help. Looks like a model 10, but is a 20 ga. Has a "U" stamped above the serial number on the bottom of the carrier. Barrel dating 2 digits on barrel appear to be IK. Sent 6 digit serial number to Remington and they say it was built in 1952, but I have found no bottom feed/eject models in that year. The "K" would be 1922, no?
Let's see if the links to pictures work below:

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
The only Remington 20-gauge bottom dumper pump gun was the Model 17, which was introduced in 1920, and cataloged through about 1933 when the Model 31 16- and 20-gauge pumps went into production. Remington continued to make and sell Model 17s up to WW-II, with the last serial number receiver, 74021, going into production in January 1939, according to the old factory ledger. Model 17 serial numbers never reached six digits. Early guns had the serial number on the bottom, preceded by an inventory code BO --

U was the inventory code for the Model 10, which was only made in 12-gauge. Later the serial number and the company logo were on the left side of the receiver --

IK cant be a date code as I is not a month code. K is 1941, 1963 or 1990. Your picture links don't work as they require a sign in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, My bad. It IS a 12 ga, making it a Model 10 I guess, since researcher01 says that the stamp of U means model 10. My ser number is in the 200XXX. Not sure where that puts it in the year produced, but I thought production of the 10 stopped in 1949. The 2 digit code on the barrel is difficult to read the first digit, but the 2nd appears to clearly be a K. There is nothing stamped on the side plates, as the model 17 shows above.

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
The John D. Pedersen designed 12-gauge pump gun was introduced during 1908 by Remington Arms Co. as the Remington Repeating Shotgun. When Marcellus Hartly Dodge combined his arms and ammunition companies into Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Co. in 1911, they began calling it the Model No. 10. A Model 10 with a serial number in the 200xxx range would be a receiver put in work during October 1920, which would be shortly after the post WW-I reorganization when Remington Arms Co., Inc. was formed and Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Co., Inc. was dissolved. The Model 10 was discontinued in December 1928 at serial number 277990. It was replaced by a somewhat updated gun, the Model 29 --

as a stop gap until the side ejecting Model 31 was introduced in 12-gauge in 1931.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
srncovet,

Researcher01 nailed it as a Model 10. The "book" value ranges from $100.-(poor) to $375.-(Exc). As always, check the online auctions for actual prices being PAID for the same make and model in like condition.

Interestingly, the Standard Catalog of Firearms states that the Model 10 was produced in 12, 16 and 20 gauge with barrels ranging from 26" to 32". Production years are listed as
1907-1929. All the Model 10's I've seen were 12 gauge with either a 30" or 32" barrel.

Many moons ago, a friend had a solid rib Model 10 Trap gun with a straight English grip stock which he really liked and shot well. As I recall, pointability was equal or maybe better than a Win. Model 12. I don't recall his having any problems with the gun but, recognizing that replacement parts were made of unobtainium, he sold the gun.

DF

Montani Semper LIberi

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
Interestingly, the Standard Catalog of Firearms states that the Model 10 was produced in 12, 16 and 20 gauge with barrels ranging from 26" to 32". Production years are listed as 1907-1929.
A classic example of why those kind of books aren't worth the paper they are printed on. When I see such errors on something I know about, it doesn't give me any kind of warm fuzzy feeling to look up something I don't know about.

Pretty sure I have every Remington Arms Co.; Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Co.; Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Co., Inc. and Remington Arms Co., Inc. catalog from the years the John D. Pedersen designed pump gun was offered, and they only list 12-gauge, but they were offered in all four barrel lengths from the get go, as well as the 20-inch barrel Riot Grade. The gun actually first appeared in the 1908 Remington Arms Co. catalog, and was fully covered in the 1908-09 catalog. Apparently Remington was making them earlier as there was a sketch of a shooter over a flushing dog with one in the corner of page 5 of the 1906 Remington catalog, and we have a 1907 picture of professional shooter Frank Riehl holding one with a checkered half-pistol grip. Solid ribs, milled integral with the barrel were offered early on, and they added a vent-ribbed "Target" Grade in 1921 --

1 - 6 of 6 Posts