Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have posted up a few questions about Beretta already, but want to know what you guys thought was the best all around buy for birds, skeet, trap and 5 stand? If you could have one gun to do it all. I have been doing it all with an 870 express for the last 4 years an want a new Semi-Auto.

Thanks
Looking

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Most of the accessories that are good for the 391 are also good for the 390.

If price is a factor then, yes, the Walmart 391 is the right answer. If you have a larger budget, take a look at an Xtrema. If you're not at all interested in the 3-1/2" chamber of the Xtrema (I'm not) take a look at a 391.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bopper said:
Most of the accessories that are good for the 391 are also good for the 390.

If price is a factor then, yes, the Walmart 391 is the right answer. If you have a larger budget, take a look at an Xtrema. If you're not at all interested in the 3-1/2" chamber of the Xtrema (I'm not) take a look at a 391.
I am not really interested in the Xtrema, I don't need the 3.5" chamber. What I do want out of the gun is versatility without looking silly. I don't want a Comp gun that won't serve good field use nor do I want a cheap field gun that I can't take to the range an shoot clays.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
The Walmart 390 is fully the gun that the 391 is for field or sporting clays.

There is no practical functional difference from the 391 - in fact some 391 users have had problems with the straight 391 carrier but I've never heard of any problems with the "bent" 390 carrier. Personally, I believe that the 390 is easier to clean than the 391 and almost as easy to clean as my wife's 303. My Walmart 390 functions reliably with heavy 1 1/4 ounce lead loads, fast 3" 1 1/8 ounce steel loads and my very light 7/8 ounce target loads.

The only real differences from the 391 are the black synthetic stock and matte finish.

One of the better shots I've seen at sporting clays shoots a Walmart Beretta with the black plastic stock.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
FlyChamps said:
There is no practical functional difference from the 391

The only real differences from the 391 are the black synthetic stock and matte
I agree with your first statement above but not your second. I strongly prefer the slimmer forend of the 391 over the forend of the 390. That's a 'real' difference but not a functional one.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
FlyChamps said:
The Walmart 390 is fully the gun that the 391 is for field or sporting clays.

There is no practical functional difference from the 391 - in fact some 391 users have had problems with the straight 391 carrier but I've never heard of any problems with the "bent" 390 carrier. Personally, I believe that the 390 is easier to clean than the 391 and almost as easy to clean as my wife's 303. My Walmart 390 functions reliably with heavy 1 1/4 ounce lead loads, fast 3" 1 1/8 ounce steel loads and my very light 7/8 ounce target loads.

The only real differences from the 391 are the black synthetic stock and matte finish.

One of the better shots I've seen at sporting clays shoots a Walmart Beretta with the black plastic stock.
The Walmart gun works and may be a superior choice.

However it is nonsense to claim they are no functionality differences. There are many differences in stocks, balance, weight, and barrel lengths available in the 391 models. These are important in seeking a good fit and match to the use, function of the gun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts