Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all, I am looking at the Remington 870 left handed and the Browning Bps. My local Bass Pro Shop has the 870 for $319 and the BPS for $429. My question is, is the Browning worth the extra money in the long run? All responses are greatly appreciated. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
WAs it me doing the buying,I'd buy the Browning. If for some reason you ever had to sell it,the resale value will be there.Not on the Rem. Rem is lefty only,Browning is either. I don't like 870s but I do like the BPS. My 2 cents.

HWD

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Have owned both and I like both. Browning probably has the 870 on fit and finish. I also like the safety placement and the bottom eject on the Browning.

But, I'd probably go with the 870 for the weight factor and the breakdown-abilty. 870 is a lot easier to get into the guts of. The BPS you don't want to get too deep into. In my mind the BPS is probably not worth the extra $$, but your mileage may vary.

Go for which ever one fits you best and feels best in the hand.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I'd buy the BPS if hunting was my primary aim as I like the hulls ejecting at my feet most hunting situations--especially waterfowl.

If planning on using the gun to shoot clay targets I'd buy the LH Wingmaster as it is easier to load on station when shooting Trap, Skeet or Sporting Clays.

The other caution is that the Stalker BPS I had did not provide a way to shorten or lengthen the LOP--if you go the Stalker route--make sure the gun fits and there is no elegant way to lengthen or shorten the stock.

·
Registered
107 Posts
TIP: Do not buy a new gun. Which ever one you do choose to buy! Try local gun shows... for example, just last weekend I saw a "like new" Browning BPS 12 Ga. with all choke tube, and they were asking $250 shock: I should have bought it but I didn't. Just my .02

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Get what you want. Its what appeals to you that matters, just shop a lil' more careful. 870's can be had NEW for around $260.
The price you had on the Browning was about right for a new BPS.
BPS is more fancier and yes...it has a better resale value.

Art :)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Now that hunting season is drawing to a close in many areas, you might look around for a good deal on a used gun. I would lean to the Browning as well. Same thing others have said, better fir and finish and I do also like the tang safety. Bottom eject is VERY nice if your a lefty. But for the price a 870 is a good tool. again check your local used gun stores and pawn shops. save $75 - $125 bucks and by some shells with the savings!

APEXDUCK

·
Registered
703 Posts
The finish won't be as nice on the economy model 870 but the actual buying price if you shop around should be at least 1/3 less. It's hard to argue against the 870 when there have been as many of them sold as just about every other pump combined.

SH

1 - 8 of 8 Posts