Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife wants a shotgun. Of course, I can't afford what she wants ( 28 ***** Browning Citori), so I was thinking maybe a single-shot would do for now till I can afford the one she wants. She cant handle recoil due to age/health, so I figure that I need to stay with .410 or 28 gauge. I have looked at the following guns. I have about 150.00 to spend.

Snake Charmer comes in both Gauges,I like the look of it, but I have heard bad things about the finish and workmanship and possible firing pin issues. I was looking at the field gun with wood stock, not the plastic one.

Rossi combo gun comes with .410/.17 I like the idea of her having the .17 for squirrles, but noticed that it used a tranfer bar. I am kinda scared of those. I had an old 20 gauge H & R back in the 80's and the transfer bar broke and I could find no one to fix it.

Now comes my other choice, the H & R Topper in 28 *****. I don't know if it still uses a transfer bar or not.

Anyone have any ideas. By the way, Pump shotguns are out of the question because she doesn't like them.

Thanks to all that reply.

·
Registered
I lost them all in a boating accident.
17,978 Posts
Poodaddy said:
My wife wants a shotgun.
For what?

IMHO, you're not looking at much for $150. You'd be better off cracking out the Visa and looking at one of the O/Us in the lower end of the price spectrum (Remington, Mossberg, Verona, Lanbar, etc).

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
WOW, if my wife wanted a shotgun I would break out TWO credit cards to get her what she wants!! The shotgun will be the least expensive portion of this adventure. Enjoy it!!

(All of that is said without any idea of your finances) :lol:

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
If my wife wanted a shotgun and I bought her one of the guns you listed she would shoot me with it. I agree with the above, break out the credit card and show her you care.

·
Registered
482 Posts
If recoail & age are a factor, a used 20ga auto might be the way to go. Very soft recoil & easier on the credit card, food for thought. Good shooting!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
My girl really likes her Stoeger single shot Classic 20ga and so do I. She is a really good shot with it. It was cheap, $119 brand new. Vent rib, easy push button safety, and a hammer you won't forget to cock since you can't see down the vent rib with it uncocked :) I just really wish it would eject the shells though for quicker reloads. The recoil might be more of a factor, an autoloader would be better for that obviously.

What the both of us really like is her dads old Winchester model 37 20ga single shot. although its a plain barrel, its a Great shooter, is really old but locks up tight and shoots wonderfully, although you can't find those cheap unless you get lucky.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Make that another ditto for what Duxdog said. If cost is a consideration, another thing to consider is that 20 gauge shells can be had any time for around $3.25 a box. 410s and 28s are a lot higher unless you reload.

·
Registered
67 Posts
given recoil (lack of = fun shooting) as well as $$$...
I would try keep puttin change in the jar and keep your eyes out for a semi auto 12 ie a used 11-87, 390 etc. Set her up with one of them Reactar pads in the shirt...go for light 1oz field loads and you are set. If she loves it, a lot of versatility in the 12 for just about anything, if not a used 1187 or 390/391 will keep its value for resale or heck, you keep it.

From my personal experiances, every 20 ***** I have fired, kicks more than my 12 ***** autoloaders. I own an 1100 tourny skeet in 20 and it wacks me way harder than my 1187 LC and light years more than my wifes Beretta 391, also in 12, fit of the gun has a lot to do with it, granted, but the majority of 20s weigh a bit less, which cancels out any recoil savings from the round.

1. Fit. Dont care what gun you get if it dont fit the likelyhood of it smackin you good is high, been there done that. Most beginner shooters, the fastest way to never shooting again, is let them get beat up by the recoil.
2. single shots will transfer all recoil energy at the moment of trigger pull to the shooter, autos (even the recoil vs the gas) bleed that energy over a period of time--some more some less.
3. Lots of 20 guages are a bit lighter, gun wise. Take a shot load times velocity, throw in the weight of the gun etc...and even though with equal guns the 20 should recoil less, it wont, with all things considered. Basic physics
4. My wife is recoil sensitive and shoots a 12 ***** Beretta 391. She wears the reactar pad, along with the gel recoil pad on the gun + 1 0z clay loads, she and I go to the range and she will shoot all day with me. I fired her gun the other day and I found out why....just a long slow bump, not like the good pop I get with my O/U.

Just another old pharts opinion, nothing else but mine.
I figured if I want my wife to share shooting with me, I better do what I can to make sure her gun fit and it didnt kick. I lucked out, its fits her like a dream and it doesnt kick and shooting 150 rounds at the range right in a row is nothing. We stop due to running out of shells, not recoil, sore shoulders etc. Yes I routinely go to the range with 400 rounds reloaded and come home all in a bucket to be reloaded again. Zero complaints, cause all that time is with the wife.

Good luck with your choice and search....and gettin the wife out on the range with ya....hope it all works out!

HR
8)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Brownings are great, and in fact usually fit me perfectly. They are a bit heavy for most women. Has she shouldered a Lanber or an SKB? Make sure the gun fits. Trading later is not a great idea because it takes time to change your shooting style, even to a better fitting gun!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm new here, but being a lady shooter I figured I might put my two cents in on the subject.

If recoil is a major concern the I have to agree with what has been said about the semi-auto option. The recoil is seriously reduced on most and is very manageable in 20 gauge...which is going to be a money saver in the long run. A recoil pad is also another thing to consider.

To speak plainly though, you will get what you pay for. There are several "serviceable" shotguns on the market within your price range. However serviceable and enjoyable are nine times out of ten worlds apart from each other. WalMart price, WalMart quality....nuff said.

My suggestion, save up a bit more and get your wife something that she will actually enjoy shooting and take the means necessary to make it as comfortable for her as possible, especially since health is a factor. Keep your eye on your local shop's used rack, and see if they offer a layaway plan. It might take a bit longer to aquire, but in the long run it would very well be worth it.

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
hawaii-rider said:
given recoil (lack of = fun shooting) as well as $$$...
I would try keep puttin change in the jar and keep your eyes out for a semi auto 12 ie a used 11-87, 390 etc.
Vagabond said:
My suggestion, save up a bit more and get your wife something that she will actually enjoy shooting
Poodaddy, this is the best advice you have received, by far.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replys everyone. I have decided to wait a bit and get her a good auto. We are having problems with the fit as she has short arms. Even the youth models on some guns don't fit her too well. We haven't tried the fit on autos yet. I have always been a sigle-shot man. My gun of choice is my ole Stevens Long Tom 12 gauge. I have hunted with it for the past 28 years. It's Not pretty, some say it kicks hard, but for me I rarely miss with it. She found a Citori OU in 28 gauge that she liked some time back, If I could only find that gun again I would put it in layaway.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts