Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Given that a "new" belgian barrel can be upwards of $300 for a halfway decent one, shoot the good stuff.

I understand bismuth is OK, but I live in the desert, havent seen a duck or goose outside a farm or petting zoo.

·
Registered
28,183 Posts
Ryan said:
What is the most cost friendly non toxic load that can be shot through belgium barrels?
Steel.

Note that all Browning Golds have Belgium barrels.

However, scuffing and ringing is a possibility with A-5 and Superposed barrels, but far from a certainty.

Cheap and "good for barrel" do not coexist easily in no-tox shot.

Country of manufacture does not dictate shot selection, barrel material, shot size, and bore constriction all play roles.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im talking about belgium A5 barrels using either modified barrels or improved. ( I have an old belgium barrel that has been threaded for choke tubes). I also have a sweet sixteen modified barrel I would like to shoot some timber ducks with. Im not so much worried about the cut barrel but do not want to mess the 16 ga barrel up for sure!

·
Registered
28,183 Posts
You will get differing opinions on this; check the Browning website for their take-- they say it is okay, but you may ring your muzzle.

They go on to say that a bulge in the muzzle area is okay, does not significantly affect patterns, etc.

Lyman and other authorities clearly suggest that you do NOT use steel in an older shotgun. Scuffing and wear is inevitable.

I personally would not buy a Belgium A-5 that had a diet of steel, and I don't know who would.

If you care about your gun, use Kent Tungsten-Matrix or Hevi-Shot "Classic Doubles."

If you don't care, then fire away. You may or may not regret it.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I keep seeing on various forums where it is only a matter of time before lead shot is completedly outlawed and only non-toxics and steel will be legal. While it may be reasonable for hunting to use the more expensive steel and non-toxics, it probably won't be to use these loads for the clay games. Will this make a bunch of Browning fixed choke barrels obsolete and wall hangers for clay shooting? What would you do about clay target shooting? It sure hurt the future for A5 12 gauges with fixed chokes when Hastings quit making A5 Wadlock barrels. I enjoy informal clays shooting with the old plain barrel A5's.

·
Registered
28,183 Posts
BackTo16Gauge said:
I keep seeing on various forums where it is only a matter of time before lead shot is completedly outlawed and only non-toxics and steel will be legal.
Unlikely. No clay pigeon dies from lead poisoning, and it is the clay pigeon itself that is poisonous to livestock, particularly hogs. Keep the pigs off the clays courses.

Lead based paint is still used, and no-- I don't think toys for tottlers should have lead on them, nor lead-based candy wrappers.

Lead issues are not what they seem, and are not connected to clay pigeon shooting throughout the world. We can invent the issue, but it is not one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts