Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several hundred 20 gauge 2 ½" RST (Cheddite) straight wall hulls I'm thinking of using to make up some loads for my older 20 gauge Fox double with 2 ½" chambers. I have some Hodgdon Int'l Clays powder that I would like to use and Winchester primers with the goal of loading ¾ ounce lead loads. And if needed, suitable card wads in the bottom of the wad to take up space.

I have some Winchester WAA20 wads that are intended for tapered hulls but they seem to be a little sloppy in those RST hulls.

Any thoughts on what might work for this application? I don't have a 20 gauge reloader but if this looks at all practical, I'll be looking for a simple basic MEC 600 Jr. or something like that.

And if anyone has any recipes that might work out and you would like to share, I, and I'm sure others, would be interested.

Thanks for any help or comments.

Jolly

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
The Gualandi SG20M or SG20S would be the place to start, as would the Gualandi 20 gauge Brush Wad. Get them from Ballistic Products here: http://www.ballisticproducts.com/20-gauge-wads/products/89/

When you order you should call them, they can help with the data at the same time.

Another option would be a built up card & fiber wad stack.

The MEC 600 can do 2.5" with their adapter kit, or you could roll crimp.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fred/Cerberus,

Thank you for your response. A quick look at your suggested wads look like they may work fine.

And as you suggest, a call to BP would also be helpful.

I get my light (1/2 ounce) 12 gauge filler wads from Craig Smith of Circle Fly wads. Would be a good source for the 20's also. I might even seem him next week at a side by side shotgun shoot at Rock Mountain in PA next week.

Jolly

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
If you are going to load the 2-1/2 shell, you need a wad that's SHORTER, rather than filler wads to raise the shot load.

It's my opinion that most probably, a 20 ga. wad designed for a straight wall hull and 1 to 1-1/8 of shot is what will actually fit as far as stack height goes. Yes you will have to trim the shot petals a bit but that is easily done. A possible candidate for this is the Sporting 20 Short wad, sold by Ballistic Products.

When using a hull that's 1/4 inch shorter, you have to lower the floor of the shot cup. to do this, the only way to get such a wad is to do as suggested above. That is of course if there is no special wad available, which I know of none.

DLM

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
D L Marcum said:
If you are going to load the 2-1/2 shell, you need a wad that's SHORTER, rather than filler wads to raise the shot load.

It's my opinion that most probably, a 20 ga. wad designed for a straight wall hull and 1 to 1-1/8 of shot is what will actually fit as far as stack height goes. Yes you will have to trim the shot petals a bit but that is easily done. A possible candidate for this is the Sporting 20 Short wad, sold by Ballistic Products.

When using a hull that's 1/4 inch shorter, you have to lower the floor of the shot cup. to do this, the only way to get such a wad is to do as suggested above. That is of course if there is no special wad available, which I know of none.

DLM
DLM:

Thank you and Cerberus, for your input. It all makes good sense.

I will temporarily have to put this project aside for a few days as something came up that I have to attend to. But I will be going to a gun show Saturday and will look for a simple, as in a MEC 600 JR., 20 gauge loader at a decent price to use when I get this figured out.

Jolly

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.