Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was taken from another post, but it begs the question: What was your "Best Shot" or "Most Memorable" shot? Quite often it's those shots that keep us coming back to the sporting clays course.
-----------
The "Shot Of The Day" came at Station 8 when my wife wanted to get something on the scorecard, so she shot the left bird of the true pair first. She figured she didn't have a chance at the going away, edgy midi so she would double-barrel the left bird.

Well, she broke the left bird on her 1st shot, but by that time, the midi had just about landed at the edge of the field. She took a shot and broke it! Everyone else on the squad was awed! On the way out I scoped it with my laser rangefinder...it was an 80-yard shot!

Guess the FITASC she's been shooting this year helped her on that station! It was quite a shot.

I.S.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
My most memorable shot was the final target of a 3 bird shoot about 5 years ago. I was a newbie and had little experience and less technique.

It was a 2 shot single teal at about 70 yards (my guess). I screwed in my full choke and let loose with 2 quick "blind faith" shots as it neared it's apex. Nothing...then a delayed break...seemed like 2 seconds later.

I've learned alot since then and make the occasional good shot, but that on sticks in my mind.

·
Banned
13,904 Posts
I once saw a 90 yd shot--by my wife--Lt Mod and #7.5 shot one oz load. going down a hill at the All Am shoot @ Elk Creek in 08.

BUT I'd say my most memorable shot(s) were the last 57 straight to beat my squadmate by one target--91 to 90. He shot 56 of those and had one miss.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Sera,

I think you'll recall this one.....we were shooting the 1 and 100 Tex-La shoot a couple of years ago when I hit the big shoot off bird on the way up and then broke a piece of it on the way down. It was an absolutely straight up midi starting at about 60 yards under full spring showing full face. Lead was about a Suburban pulling a boat..both ways.

PURE LUCK...! and of course I did it during the morning warm up, NOT IN ANY SORT OF SHOOTOFF...!

Bob

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
A second target of a true pair, was hard for me to pick up, on both true pairs I managed to break it twice about 1 foot above cattails - enough for a win in A class number of years ago at the Seminole..

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
On the plus side my most memorable was at the 08 Missouri State Prelim where a target was set as a teal but was behind a tree and due to the wind coming up it stayed behind the trees until it was dropping way down in the holler. I hit two out of three. A squad mate said it was luck that if it was skill it would have been 3 out of 3. I used 1 oz. 7 1/2 shot with a full choke.

On the other hand I remember I was shooting in a registered fun shoot and shot the first 49 straight. I remember that last pair. The second shot was a lazy looping chondell not too far away and I remeber the thought through my head (Thought!!!Not Good!) was I have never shot 50 straight before, I've got this. As I thought that I hit the trigger and my next thought was I still haven't hit 50 straight! :roll:

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
78 in row, Skeet, Model 42 (410) Modified - lowgun :wink: I have NEVER even come close to this again with the little pump :(

RTA48

·
Registered
403 Posts
Not on a claybird, but on a rabbit. Hunting with some buddies several years ago, I was carrying my 1100 with a skeet barrel. A cottontail we kicked up went down through the creek bottom and for some reason climbed up out of the creek and turned left along the creek bank about 60 - 65 yards away. I shouldered and fired, and he just tumbled. We found three pellets in him. Number 6's if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Myself and all of my TargetLine guys were standing between the 100' towers at the 74 Ranch with an 1100 with an extended magazine. We were throwing all 8 birds off the towers at the same time and seeing who could kill the most. Tony Rivera and I both got 7 out of eight and that was the best any of us could do, so we started seeing how many we could kill with the gun upside down, just for grins. Up drives TargetLiner Sean McLelland, our Olympic skeet shooter, and ask what we were doing and we showed him. He asked if he could try and promptly smoked all 8 targets with the gun upside down, looked at us, and said "well that was fun" and left to eat lunch. I don't think anyone said anything for 5 minutes as we stood there with our mouths open.

True story. No BS. It was the most amazing thing I've ever seen with a shotgun.

Steve Schultz

·
Registered
531 Posts
Like most of us, I have had a lot of "best" shots (both hunting and sporting) over the years. One of my best also happens to be one of my most recent which was the "E" bird on Par 4 at the Texas State FITASC.

The bird was a midi off to the far right moving right to left in a slight quartering fashion. This target had some major spring to it. For the first 40-45 yards of flight it was on edge and offered no good shot opportunities then it turn just a bit to show its face for about 5 yards until gravity took it. I think the target landed somewhere in Arkansas.

The reason I loved this target was that you needed concentration, patience, a good mount, gun speed, proper lead, good foot placement, and most importantly a well defined kill zone. It was only about a 45 yard shot (from peg 2) but there was such a small window in which to break the target. If you didn't break this bird before it started heading down, you didn't have a chance in hell. A well set target by Steve Schultz.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
i`ve a few, but here goes.
-shooting station 4 pair in skeet with one shell (my friends were more impressed than i)
-shooting a real far out clay, away bird, took 2 or so seconds to get there.

-shooting rabbits, my friend shooting tuffts of fur of a big bolting rabbit twice, once he was spent, (it was almost out of range) i raised my gun and "Tanked" it good and proper with a 36g #4 or #2 (cant remember).
i was chuffed all day !

-shooting rabbits on snow, dark brown rabbit against a white field. the farmer said "i bet you wished you`d had a rimfire for that one !"
me- hold on ! --bang !
-got it, you were saying?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's on that happens every year...In March, our club organizes a week of shooting clinics with John Woolley as our instructor. The last couple of days are for the "advanced" shooters. We work on harder targets and longer distances.

John lines us up to shoot the various targets and when we become comfortable with the shot, we all move back another 10-15 yards and continue shooting. This occasionally results in shooting targets at 80-100 yards away, measured with a laser rangefinder!

Last March we ended the day by shooting a report pair...an 85-yard chandelle crosser, followed by a 105-yard standard, curling away from a 45' tower. You didn't break them every time, but when you broke either (or both), it was a real rush!

I.S.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
As a boy growing up in up state New York I shot a state record brown trout while hunting phesant late in the fall using my trusty Stevens SxS 12 ga. Made a 30 yard shot on the ripple going up the shallow of the stream, that fixed full choke barrel got'er done. Great tasting trout I remember, still got the gun some 50 years later as my dad said there are just some things you never part with.......He allways gave good advice......

TM

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
cookoff013 said:
Let's see, 1200 FT/Sec and 2 seconds=2400 feet, almost a 1/2 mile shot=800 yds
( maybe a lot less than 2 sec.??!!!!)

:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
My best shots have been in the field on game. Two come to mind as best shots. The first was a single drake mallard that doubled back over me after my friends shot at the birds I flushed to them. The bird was 50 to 55 yards above me and moving fast and left to right (my old nemesis). I had the sun to contend with as I got the line the bird went into the sun. I kept swinging and added a little more lead because it was so far and fired and I heard the shot hit the duck as it reappeared. My friends on the pond dam cheered as it fell.

I owe that duck to the man who showed me you could make that shot without seeing the bird as you fire. I watched Kirk Cleere make a simlar shot off of a tower at a shoot in Houston. He ran the station and could not see the first target at all as he deliverd the shot and was kind enough to tell me how he did it. What a nice guy.

The other was a planned triple on geese plus a jumping gadwall with three shots. I came over a pond dam with 40 Canada geese at about 20 yards from me. I shot a goose at 25 yard on the fringe of the flock and then looked to see the best shot and saw that the heads were going to cross on two exiting geese. I moved an fired just as their heads were almost even and both fell dead in the water. I thought I was done, but a gadwall fushed out of a cluster of cattails 20 yards to my left and I stepped toward the birdand fired. Four birds with three shots is hard to repeat .

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
I "shot" this in Wisc a few years back. Some people consider it to be my best "shot".

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
unplugged said:
cookoff013 said:
Let's see, 1200 FT/Sec and 2 seconds=2400 feet, almost a 1/2 mile shot=800 yds
( maybe a lot less than 2 sec.??!!!!)

:lol: :lol:
it felt like forever ! :lol:

·
Registered
607 Posts
Yep, Little Switzerland at Grinderswitch. Especially being at the bottom of the valley and shooting the overhead outgoing and being on top and shooting down on the outgoing target from the left.

Bopper, don't ask Wendell about the time he wiffed a Greenhead 3 times in the decoys or the broadside doe standing at 220 yards. Moral of the story, even the best miss occasionally. TR.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts