Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assuming you shoot skeet, trap or sporting clays competitively, what was your most memorable miss? For example, I've occasionally missed and still won, but when I missed a 4H at skeet in a shoot-off 30+ years ago............it cost me a car :| .

·
Registered
14,665 Posts
I was in a live pigeon shoot and went into the last ring tied w/ 8 other shooters. I missed two and was heartbroken. 7 guys missed one and one guy missed none. So--I did not have to split the 3d place pot and the 7 guys had to split the 2d place pot, 7 ways. I won $6000 by myself and they split $15,000 7 ways.

It was a "good" miss.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
My last one. Low 1 on doubles. About an hour ago. Been struggling with some issues there recently, and I got lazy on my last round and didn't follow the new routine (which has been working well). Cost me a straight. I'm still a little pissed about it.

·
Registered
706 Posts
sera said:
I was in a live pigeon shoot and went into the last ring tied w/ 8 other shooters. I missed two and was heartbroken. 7 guys missed one and one guy missed none. So--I did not have to split the 3d place pot and the 7 guys had to split the 2d place pot, 7 ways. I won $6000 by myself and they split $15,000 7 ways.

It was a "good" miss.
I would have thought they would have split the pot like golf, add up the money for 2nd thru 8th place and divide that by 7. I have never even seen a pigeon shoot though, would like to someday.

·
Registered
706 Posts
2nd day of browning briley last year. Shot a 92 the first hundred as a new C shooter, they looked like beach balls i pulled the trigger and they powdered. Came back for day two with about a 5 bird lead and dropped 4 of the first 8 on the first station. I was trying to hit orange flying aspirin that day.

·
Registered
14,665 Posts
NTx: In pigeons ties divide , even for 1st--so as many as possible come away w/ some $$$. Sometimes it works in your favor and sometimes it bites you in the butt.

Ties for 1st shoot off for the trophy.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sera said:

It was a "good" miss.
Out of interest........where were you shooting live pigeons? A relative of mine from Memphis used to shoot live pigeons competitively.

·
Registered
20,543 Posts
Live pigeon shoot locations are not generally posted on the internet or in newspapers or printed ads in the US. The reasons for this policy should be fairly obvious.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I had 75 straight under my belt. During the fourth round I missed H8, costing me my first 100 at skeet.

During a recent sporting clays match, I missed my very first shot and the first shot on the last station. I ended up with a 98, with which I am very pleased, but can't help thinking about the 2 shots I missed. By the way, the course was not a registered shoot and set up very soft.

·
Registered
14,665 Posts
There used to be 4 clubs in Louisiana.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
About 44 years ago I was a shooting in the Great Western skeet shoot at the Lincoln Park gun Club in Chicago. It was only my second registered shoot so I was penalty AA. I missed low 7 on the last round for a 99. It got me nothing. After that round I came back down to earth and finished the year with an average in the high 80's.
I'll never get over that miss.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
2013 US Open FITASC event at back woods quail club. I was on my first parcour, I missed an easy target because I just got too amped up. I said to myself not to do that anymore. I finished the round with a 77/100 which was a respectable score and was a tie for second place in A class. Tie breaker peg, not a shoot off relegated me to third place. That one target hurts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Way back in 1987 at the Zone 2 shoot at Shenecoy fields in Huntingdon Pa. In shot 100's in the 410 and 20 gauge the first day. Sunday I ran the first 25 in the 28 gauge and started to get a little nervous. I made it around to station 5 and shot probably 10 feet in front of high 5. As it turned out I finished with 99 in the 28 and broke 100 in the 12 gauge. It was my first 100 in the 410 and 399 for the hoa. To this day I can still remember that high 5. I won the high over all and that was the best hoa score I would ever shoot.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.