Shotgun Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
So if I wanted a mule eared coach gun for CAS or anything else, what is the best? Some of the imports have a good price but the quality is not so good. What brand should I be looking for?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Meeteetse said:
So if I wanted a mule eared coach gun for CAS or anything else, what is the best? Some of the imports have a good price but the quality is not so good. What brand should I be looking for?
We call this a "hammer double" for short. They have a great authentic look, and (properly set up) they open easily because the action is not cocking internal hammers. Downside is that they are slower than a double with internal hammers because of the extra step of hauling the hammers back.

I believe the only SASS category in which a hammer double is required (that or an 1887 lever shotgun) is Classic Cowboy.

To answer the question, though, there is a replica of the 1878 Colt hammer double that is well regarded. Cimarron Arms imports it; here's a link: http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/shotgu ... otgun.html

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.