Shotgun Forum banner
161 - 180 of 207 Posts

· Registered
2,280 Posts
Beretta A300 Outlander. It was a friends. They wanted to hunt with the 13" lop and a 28" barrel. The friend decided to quit hunting so I put the spacers in it and took it to the club to give it a try. I wanted to not like it, but I shoot it very well. I shoot all low gun and it comes up quick, points well, and cycles great. Has never had any issue but it hasn't fired 1000's of rounds yet. My friends got a deal on 4 of these when they were very reasonably priced. They have worked amazingly well. One buddy has shot 1000's of shells the last couple years with his at the club and hunts with it in hunting season. He normally shot a Browning GTI, but when ammo got tight he could not get his favorite low recoil shells. He started buying the cheap 1 1/8 oz 100 packs at Walmart and shooting his A300 Outlander since it is gas operated and kicked less. His scores went up. He shoots sporting clays and trap with it every week.

· Registered
10 Posts
Classic Doubles 101 field grade, lightweight 12ga with English grip. Found it at a pawn shop in the original box and liked how light and short it was. I'm not very tall and it seemed to fit me well. I had no idea what I had found until after I bought it. Nearly 30 years later it has been my go-to for almost any upland bird.

· Registered
891 Posts
Beretta A300 Outlander in 12 gauge.

It's not "pretty" but I shoot it so well... Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

It was used...

It has a few marks...

I found a few used chokes...

Runs fairly light loads easily...

I've had more costly but none to shoot any better..

· Registered
9 Posts
Beretta A300 Outlander in 12 gauge.

It's not "pretty" but I shoot it so well... Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

It was used...

It has a few marks...

I found a few used chokes...

Runs fairly light loads easily..
I've had more costly but none to shoot any better..
I have lots of that type shotgun, and rifles. They may be ugly but that shoot well, don't eat, and they are paid for.(y)
Roy

· Premium Member
659 Posts
As I'm reading the various responses here, I can't help but ask a question: For those of you who are purchasing $2,500 - $5,000 dollar guns, why are you surprised that they shoot so well, that they have no FTF/FTEs? Wouldn't you expect that to be the case for these expensive shotguns?

I'm not trying to be a smartass here; it's an honest question. I can see people being pleasantly surprised when buying an inexpensive gun and not having these types of problems. But if you're surprised that the expensive guns shoot/perform so well - that they're exceeding your expectations - what made you choose them in the first place?

· Registered
94 Posts
I've had the opportunity to shoot and own so many great shotguns. This is a tough one. One I currently own, and am infatuated with is my Sweet 16. It was one of those guns that had always interested me, but I had never shot one, much less handled one. An older friend of mine received one(new version) as a retirement gift from his managers. We were in SD, in October one year, and he was taking it out of the case after we had decided how to approach this field. I asked him if he wanted to trade for a short walk so I could carry it, and shoulder it, and see what the humpback hype was all about... Needless to say, I had my own the next season.

I've had it for a few years now, and I've got to say, it very quickly became one of my all time favorites. It may even get the nod for opener. Haven't decided yet.
I've never heard anything but good about them.👍

· Registered
29,976 Posts
As I'm reading the various responses here, I can't help but ask a question: For those of you who are purchasing $2,500 - $5,000 dollar guns, why are you surprised that they shoot so well, that they have no FTF/FTEs? Wouldn't you expect that to be the case for these expensive shotguns?

I'm not trying to be a smartass here; it's an honest question. I can see people being pleasantly surprised when buying an inexpensive gun and not having these types of problems. But if you're surprised that the expensive guns shoot/perform so well - that they're exceeding your expectations - what made you choose them in the first place?
Dollars alone won't make a shotgun, or a car for that matter more reliable. You can spend all the money you'd like on engraving and well-figured walnut, but that never changes function.

· Premium Member
659 Posts
Dollars alone won't make a shotgun, or a car for that matter more reliable. You can spend all the money you'd like on engraving and well-figured walnut, but that never changes function.
So then that begs the question: If it's not about function and all about form, then why do all these people rag on Turkish shotguns?" A Tristar looks great, and functions well enough. I didn't have high expectations for my Tristar, yet it exceeded my every expectation. Then I start reading here about people who have these "B" guns where the gun has exceeded their expectations. What exactly were their expectations when they purchased the gun? Just being a pretty picture, but knowing that it's probably not built so well? That's what I'm not understanding.

· Registered
300 Posts
I've owned 3 Huglu built SxS shotguns...one branded deHaan (20 ga) and two Gen 1 CZs (28 ga and .410). All were functionally fine, well regulated, had OK wood and a decent butt pad. Never an ounce of trouble with them, all bought used for the sum total of about $$1500 US. I only own the .410 these days (18 years) as I sold the .28 ga and gifted the 20 ga to a friend. Had way better luck with them than a boxlock 453 AYA we once had.

· Registered
54 Posts
Ive had a few shotguns that made me look better than I am...And several that were highly disappointed in me!

Reactions: tcpip95
161 - 180 of 207 Posts