Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have a dumb or I suppose ignorant question to ask. I'm not new to shooting or guns at all as I have been shooting for as long as I can remember. I have shot everything under the sun it seems as far as type/caliber of gun. The one question I have is this...what is the difference in trap shooting and skeet shooting and all the other things I see on this site. I thought it was all skeet shooting. You do your "darndest" to bust a chunk of clay flying through the air and get a good laugh at the other guy when he misses. I've never shot a competition or anything, obviously, although I have won several friendly competitions among friends and/or family. Could someone take the time to explain the differences to me, please?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
O.K.-First we don't laugh at the misses but figure out out why-behind,raised head off stock,etc.At the local clubs competition is fierce but we help one another.I have shot at some clubs like you mentioned-ONCE.Skeet is composed of eight stations in a half circle configuration.Targets are singles and doubles.You will have incomers,outgoing and crossers.This game was invented to simulate hunting conditions.Trap has five stations-all birds are outgoing.The thrill for them is the angle-the bird may be a sharp left,straightaway,etc.The five stations give the shooter a different angle on the traphouse#5 by far the most popular :oops: :wink: :roll: :twisted:

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really haven't been able to go shooting in a while. Gonna have to make some time, I suppose. Where do you go?

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
Either up to Silverleaf (near Guthrie, canty cornered from the Lazy E arena) or Oklahoma Sporting Clays North of Arcadia. We lost two clubs, one at Shawnee and at Geary, and what a loss it is. :( :?

Of course, there is OTC in ElReno for trap, there is also two skeet ranges in OKC that I haven't been to. You can look that up in the link I gave you above, shows all the clubs.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Steve. I'm going to have to wipe the dust off the old SxS and see how much "rock" I can miss.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
My wife asked me the same thing. To keep it simple:

In trap the bird flies away from you. The trap machine moves from side to side in a straight line so the bird can fly straight out, to the right or to the left. In wobble trap the machine moves from side to side and up and down. This presents you w/ right, left and high and low shots that fly away from the shooter.

In skeet there are 2 machines throwing birds across from each other to the right and left of the shooter. You shoot singles and doubles (both crossers thrown at the same time). This presents the shooter w/ mostly crossing shots.

5 stand and sporting clays present the shooter w/ many different types of shots.

There is a lot more to it but I hope this helps a little.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts