Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does your SKB or Weatherby jingle and rattle worse than a RRL when you close the action? My 14-year-old is ready for a step up gun to shoot trap doubles and the Weatherby SSC or SKB 85TSS were on his short list. We visited a couple dealers yesterday and I was surprised to find that both of these guns sound like they have loose parts in them rattling around when the action is closed or if you just bump the receiver with the heel of your hand. Too bad becasue the SKB fits him great while the Citori XT is just okay.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I've handled (and shot) SKB O/Us and Ruger Red Labels. Neither brand of gun exhibited the type of behavior you're describing.

It's possible you examined two guns that had been repeatedly dry fired, and perhaps suffered some damage. :?:

I personally know of an old Ithaca/SKB O/U that still locks up solidly and is going strong after 30+ years and over 100,000 rounds of use.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, these were all brand new guns. Since then we also looked at a field grade Orion at another dealer--same loose sounding rattles when the action is closed or if the receiver is bumped. The noise is clearly not from the lock or hinge. It sounds like there is something quite loose--maybe in the ejector mechanism. Three of three new SKB or Weatherby guns made exactly the same noise. Hold your SKB/Weatherby by the pistol grip, muzzle up, and then bump either side of the fore end with the heel of your free hand. I believe that you will hear what I am talking about. Admittedly I prefer compound bows, guns, cars and computer cooling fans that don't rattle, squeak or buzz!

I know many SGW'ers claim to not hear the metallic rattling or ringing characteristics that I have found to be typical of Red Labels and Franchi O/Us. I guess I'll assume that my choices of ear protection have been good ones!

·
Premium Member
20,026 Posts
I've never heard the rattling you are referring to. My Weatherby O/U doesn't do it. If I hit hard enough on the side of the forearm wood with the heel of my hand, I can hear a small "click" sound where the wood clicks slightly against the barrel, but why would anyone want to go around hitting the side of their gun like that? The forearm has to have a slight clearance from the barrel due to manufacturing tolerances and also as protection against the wood swelling slightly if it were to get soaking wet. I don't hear anything at all inside the gun rattling when opening, closing, or banging on the side of it with my hand.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I have to agree with Ulysses.

Santa just brought me a SKB Model 600 O/U, and there is no rattle noise at all - just a solid, quality gun. And I have no hearing problems. :!:

It sounds like J Beede would be best served to select a different brand of gun to meet his expectations.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Merry Christmas everyone,

Reading your posts got me worried, so ran to my guns, pulled
out my Ruger Gold Label SxS 12ga.

I shaked it, tapped/bounced the butt stock on the carpet
nicely, opened the action, tapped on the splinter forearm.

There were no rattles, inside action or outside, no sounds that
I could detect. Lock up of the action very tight, no rattles
at the hinge pin when open.

Something has to be wrong with the shotguns you looked at.
What's up.

Keep looking and Good luck.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The sound I am talking about is metallic--as in metal-on-metal, like jangling keys when the action is closed. Bumping the fore end LIGHTLY set up a sympathetic vibration in all three samples of the new 85TSS, SSC and Orion. As I mentioned, it seems to be coming from the ejector mechanism. I have never noticed this noise in any old Ithaca O/U and I have never touched a Gold Label. Next time you handle a new 85TSS or SSC see if it is noisy when you close the action.

·
Banned
473 Posts
Sometimes you will hear a rattle if you have a hollow rib with a piece of loose solder inside. Sometimes a broken ejector will also rattle while continuing to work for awhile.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Take along some snap caps. I'd almost bet that the sound will go away witht he caps in the chambers. Most everyone likes the SKB, I don't believe that you could go wrong with one. But its really fairly simple, if you just don't like the SKB, don't buy one. I sure liked the one I had, probably the only gun I've let go of that I miss nearly every time I shoot at the club.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think it is unlikely that 3 out of 3 SKB/Weatherby shotguns all have loose solder in their ribs. I will try again with snap caps--good idea.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Never heard any rattles on my SKB either, before I sold it. I've also owned 3 Franchi O&U's, still have one, an they don't rattle either.

Maybe you're just to particular about a gun. :D Tell you what, put in a set of ear plugs like you were shooting, bang on the gun an see if you hear anything. You do shoot with ear protection, right. If you have good ear protectors on I'll bet you won't hear a thing. :p :lol:

So, using good ear protectors when shooting, can't hear any rattles, whats the problem. :D

·
Registered
493 Posts
EyeMissum said:
Never heard any rattles on my SKB either, before I sold it. I've also owned 3 Franchi O&U's, still have one, an they don't rattle either.

Maybe you're just to particular about a gun. :D Tell you what, put in a set of ear plugs like you were shooting, bang on the gun an see if you hear anything. You do shoot with ear protection, right. If you have good ear protectors on I'll bet you won't hear a thing. :p :lol:

So, using good ear protectors when shooting, can't hear any rattles, whats the problem. :D
Ear plugs in. Can't hear rattle. Knows its rattling, his mind tells him so. Fear of gun malfunctioning at anytime due to defect indicated by pinging, rattling, ringing, vibrating, tinging, minging, noises. That be the problem! Wouldn't you be more comfortalble spending bookoo bucks on a rattler! :roll: :wink:

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I see... your opinion is that bad engineering is addressed by recommending ear plugs. And what do you recommend to address bad bluing, bad checkering or bad barrel convergence? More ad hominem attcks I suppose.

·
Registered
382 Posts
j beede - are you saying that the SKB's/Weatherby's you've handled actually had - bad bluing, bad checkering or bad barrel convergence? or are you simply lashing out at the previous post? You might not be actually writing that they have these problems, but laying it out there in that fashion would lead the casual reader down a false path. It's kind of like saying, "So, when did you stop beating your wife?" Nobody said you beat your wife at all, but the accusation certainly is there. To be perfectly honest, I'm getting the impression that the problem might not be with the SKB, there just might be a "MADE IN JAPAN" issue underlying the whole problem. So, how long have you been a union member? ..... You may not be a union member, but can you see the very same twist of words there?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've never heard any clicks, rattles, or any other noise from my SKB 605 open or closed (not inertia trigger). Ditto with the Ruger Red Label I had for 20 plus years.
Both are quality firearms.

Go Spurs Go!

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
j beede, did you not see smileys all over my post about sticking ear plugs in your ears.

It was meant as a joke, a little friendly ribbing.

Sheesh, don't take things so seriously. Lighten up.

If I offended you by my post, I apologize.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mexican bob said:
I've never heard any clicks, rattles, or any other noise from my SKB 605 open or closed (not inertia trigger). Ditto with the Ruger Red Label I had for 20 plus years.
Both are quality firearms.

Go Spurs Go!
I am delighted that your vintage SKB and Ruger shotguns are serving you well. I have fond boyhood memories of Ithaca 500/600/700 O/Us myself. My attempts to purchase an SKB 85TSS or Weatherby SSC for my teenaged son were thwarted this past weekend when every sample we handled sounded like it had loose metal pieces rattling around inside. I find that to be inconsistent with a quality firearm. Don't you?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ulysses said:
I've never heard the rattling you are referring to. My Weatherby O/U doesn't do it. If I hit hard enough on the side of the forearm wood with the heel of my hand, I can hear a small "click" sound where the wood clicks slightly against the barrel, but why would anyone want to go around hitting the side of their gun like that? The forearm has to have a slight clearance from the barrel due to manufacturing tolerances and also as protection against the wood swelling slightly if it were to get soaking wet. I don't hear anything at all inside the gun rattling when opening, closing, or banging on the side of it with my hand.
Banging? Hitting? I said all it took was bumping the fore end with the heel of your hand. I am happy to hear that your Weatherby doesn't rattle. Every new one I have looked at recently does.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts