Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a vintage "fun shoot" at my club, and will be using the pre-speed up skeet target order (I'll post details about the event when they firm up, in case anyone wants to join us).

I'm doing a little explanatory write up about the history of the game to accompany the flyer, and I'm trying to determine when we started shooting "speed-up" skeet. It's certainly before my time, and I'm told by some of the older fellows at the club that it started in the late 60's, but no one can be any more specific than that. Do any of you know precisely when the changes were made to the game?

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks lowgun! I remember that thread, and was trying to search for it this morning, but couldn't find it. :)

·
Banned
1,237 Posts
In 1968, and some years before, there was Regular Skeet and Speed-up Skeet. Speed-up skeet was essentially the same as today's standard skeet, except for the optional shot. The option was not taken at Low 8 like it is today, but at Station 7, if you were straight after completing your Station 7 Doubles. You as least had the option of either a High or Low House 7 for your option. You announced to the ref which you were taking. That was a nice little ego stoke, and you typically got your high 5's and attaboys then. I'm not sure if you could take any target on the field as your option like you could at regular skeet.

After completing Station 7, you then went to Station 8. It was not considered cool to miss on 8 after receiving attaboys and high 5s at Station 7, but I did it at least once.

In 1969, they changed Speed-up Skeet. The squad would shoot their singles on Station 1. Then the squad would remount Station 1 and shoot Station 1 Doubles. Likewise on Stations 2, 6, and 7. 3, 4, 5 were shot in order after finishing doubles on 2.

In 1970, there were two types of Speed-up Skeet, i.e. the 1969 version, and the pre-1969 version. One was called Speed-up Skeet and the other was called Optional Speed-up Skeet, but I can't remember which was called which.

That only lasted a year or so, and the 1969 version was dropped. Not long after that, Regular Skeet was dropped, and Speed-up Skeet became standard.

The Optional Shot was moved to Station 8 about then, but I don't remember if that occurred at the same time Regular Skeet was dropped, or if that change occured a year or two later.

Aren't you sorry you asked?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Thank you for the complete reply! It's great to learn some history of this game. I didn't realize that it had gone through so many permutations and combinations. I thought the only change discussed was todays rotation vs. the international rotation. :D

·
Registered
201 Posts
In the late 1960's we started using speedup skeet where the option was shot at 7 high or low.
I think and use the call of the first miss a REPEAT not an option.The option is only shot if all 24 targets are dead.
Hit'em hard and often George

·
Banned
1,237 Posts
Old Shooter said:
I think they called the first miss a REPEAT not an option.The option is only shot if all 24 targets are dead.
That's my recollection as well. And it was truely an optional shot then. If you broke the first 24, the shooter had the option of shooting any target on the field for their option, i.e. their 25th shot. But you ended a round of Regular Skeet at Station 7, so nearly everyone shot a High or Low 7 as their option.

·
Registered
201 Posts
And to go back to the days I was a trap boy the call for the high bird was PULL and the call for the low bird was MARK. It had to be loud so we could here it. When they hooked the cord and buttons on you had to keep the lever forward or get your fingers nicked. WOW that was a while ago.
George hit'em hard and often

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I learned to shoot skeet in the 50's and don't remember the term "repeat" used in the places I shot. It was always called the "option". We shot "speed up" in the 50's during practice but I never shot a registered event using "speed up". I stopped shooting skeet in the late 60's.

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Oldshooter brought up a point that I had not noticed in my research into the pre speedup days. I looked in my old rulebooks, back as far as pre WW2 and find that he is absolutely right about the terms "optional", "option", and "repeat". I find that in older rule books, option is not a term used to describe the repeat of the first lost bird unless it is after 24 straight birds are hit. The paragraph describing this bird does not mention the word "option", only "repeat". Dave Hinton and I are in the same boat. We are too young to remember when the word "option" or "optional" was not used to describe the repeat of the first miss, but as Oldshooter reminds us, that was exactly the case in earlier times. By the way, I started shooting non competitive skeet in 1958 when I was 12.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
we are obviously stuck somewhere in the 50/60's then because here in England a lot of people do say MARK for their 2nd target & we don't have station 8 so have our option on 7( the downside is we have a pair on 4 & get to choose to take the high or the low 1st!) but during the round if we miss the ref will say "repeat high/low target."
The other REALLY annoying thing is that on stand 7 we take the low target 1st before the high which means that when we shoot NSSA we have to change.
& as for the targets being at a slower speed here....well... don't get me started :twisted: grrr .. we have more wind affected targets because of this

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I need to correct my earlier statement about "repeat" not being used. That was incorrect. What I meant was the "25th" shot was called the option whether it was taken after the first miss or at the end. The ref would say "option high" or whatever to an experienced shooter. "Repeat the the high" would be more common when addressing some one shooting for the first time who may not understand the term "option". The term repeat may have been used often in informal practice but shooting the 25th shot at the end or after the first miss was called "the option shot". Even today, at informal skeet shooting with the old folks I shoot with it is still called "the option shot. We have a few new shooters at our range each month and we always tell them to "shoot that high house again" after the first miss and explain the option requirements. After a couple of rounds they usually catch on and the term option is used.

I do remember a lady ref at one of my registered shoots always saying in a shrill voice "lost, repeat low house" which I suppose is the correct method rather than "lost, option low". Either way I am sure folks know what to do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts