Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brittany pup will by 6 months old this month. He is feed Purina puppy chow how long should I keep him on it before switching to adult food?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I like Iams "Eukanuba" (is that spelled right?) puppy food for dogs up to 24 months. I use the "large breed" but they also have others. I don't know what adult food I'll feed them after they are 24 months.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
For large breeds (labs, etc.), I think the usual recommendation is feeding them puppy food through the first year and possibly up to 1 1/2 years. Depends on the breed. I'm sure if you did an internet search you could easily find this info. My vet told me there wasn't any detriment to feeding my dog the adult version other than she would just take longer to reach full-grown than with the puppy food.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Interesting... I read that for Labs, no need to start with puppy food. Start right off with quality adult dog food.

Thoughts?

Scott

·
Registered
362 Posts
Puppy food has much more fat than the adult food. My vet switched Gunner at 9 months to the large breed adult food. I think a bunch of this feed or that feed is just marketing garbage. So long as they get the right vitamins and minerals and protien its all good...

Some better than others of course...

G

·
For the Brittany, stay with the puppy formula for another six months or so. Keep an eye on the pups weight as the rate of growth will start to slow down now. Adjust the amount of food as needed to prevent creating a "fat" puppy.

For the large breed pups, stay with a large breed puppy food until the pup is around 12 to 18 months old. The large breed puppy formulas have a little less fat, and a different calcium/phosphorus percentage than the adult dogs foods. The Calcium/Phosphorus ratio is important in preventing the rapid growth problems that can occur when feeding Adult foods to a large breed puppy. :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.