Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new reloader and don't really know the criteria for throwing away hulls.......Do you toss them when you can see ANY split in the crimp area? I've got some twice fired (reloaded once) red AA-HS hulls that have one or two very small splits in the crimp area. I think I have been crimping too tight but at any rate some have some splits. I'm sure they would reload and crimp sufficient to prevent shot from escaping but I would appreciate it if someone could let me know what the commonly accepted criteria is for determining a hull is done.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
As long as they'll hold shot and the side walls aren't split, reload away. Be cautious of Federal hulls with paper basewads. They can be reloaded also, but only reload them if you pick them up and know they have not gotten wet.

Preferably, in 12 and 20, reload Rem hulls. In 28 and .410, reload the AAHS hulls.

Reload .410 hulls about three times past the above mentioned criteria :wink: I've been know to supergule a sidewall on .410 hulls that were split just to get one more firing out of them :lol:

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Throw them away when the crimps won't hold shot or you have a hole burnt in the side of the hull. In 28's an .410 AA hulls, thats about 10-12 reloads.

AA 12's an 20's will reload about 8-10 times.

Remington 12's an 20's are actually better than the AA's.

I've got 4 boxes of Remington 12 ga. Game loads (black hulls) that have been reloaded 15 times an they still look good an hold a good crimp.

After saying all that, look at your hulls close. If you have any doubts, throw them out.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some photos. These have been fired twice (reloaded once). The second and third ones I reloaded (second reload) before I noticed the splits. Looks like 2 and 3 were split when I fired them for the second time (after the first reload).

Would you chunk this one?

This One?

What about this?

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I wait untill they won't hold shot before junking them.

BT

·
Registered
431 Posts
Thats burn through? I've been loadin for years and I thought those were cooling vents. :shock: :D :lol: Ric

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
quartering said:
damn. those images look like a pop quiz in med school. i'm not gonna' reload 'em 'cause i'm not gonna' touch 'em
:lol:

I was thinking "health class film strip."
Yuck!

After plenty of loadings, they'll get that black and sooty look and won't look so much like inflamed mucous membrane in close-up photos.... :shock:

Good shooting,
desmobob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.