Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping to hear from other dove hunters about their hunting success.We've tried several North Texas locations, as part of the Public Land Lease project. We really haven't seen many birds on any of the fields. Most of the fields are harvested milo fields with stock ponds. This would normally be ideal conditions. However, the bird population just isn't there. We've tried all hours of the day, too. How's the dove hunting in your area? Any tips?regards,Jay G.

G

·
Jay,

We havent seen any birds either around the Waco area, tried just about everything. We also have a place about 150 miles west of Denton with sunflower fields and ponds, with no luck. There are some birds out there but they all fly high and fast never want to stop.

Good Luck

Ross

·
Registered
14 Posts
Jay, We had to drive a long way, but we finally found some dove way out west in Crowell, out past Vernon, this last weekend. Seems they have had some decent birds this year. We went with Tom of www.txdovehunt.com and he's a good guy. Gave us a lot of TLC for $50/day. Followed us around in his jeep, brought us cold drinks and shells and moved us periodically. Really that wasn't part of the package, but he's just a nice guy. Saw a lot of teal and quail there too. Best part was my 15 yr. old twin boys were shooting red hot and had a great time. This was mainly a tank hunt, best in the AM, and birds really didn't start flying until 9:00 or so.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Had a terrible hunt in Sikeston, MO two weeks ago. The next night in suburban St. Louis there were hoards of them around the family barbeque, unfortunately not on the grille, but in the trees.

They still seem to be hanging around here.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I went out once over Labor Day weekend and got one bird (all I was shooting for) to freeze and train my dog with. I was lucky I got that... I was wearing a white t-shirt and really hadn't planned on doing any hunting. The situation just presented itself after the family dinner though.

I plan to take my dad out dove hunting this weekend, so I'll report back how that goes.

·
Registered
209 Posts
My group had very good luck on opening day just outside Dallas. It's been very poor since then. But then again, that's not unusual for early dove season around here.

We shoot resident birds in the first few days. With hunting pressure, the dove move on. It's been pretty hot in the last week or so, with no good cold fronts to push birds in from the north. Just be patient. Watch the weather patterns and keep scouting. We'll have more good shooting before all is said and done.

Steve

·
Registered
11 Posts
Jay,

Don't worry too much. The doves are still coming. They just haven't left "Up North" yet. I'm up in Wisconsin and was out this past Saturday and there were plenty of doves flying around. Matter of fact, they are still flying around.(Them little buggers are hard to hit :shock: ) Even saw a flock of 10 fly over my head as I was loading up the truck AFTER I left the field. We are having an absolutely beautiful stretch of weather(75 day/55 night) "Up North" and there are plenty of fields that haven't been harvested yet, so the doves are still here.

Jerry

·
Registered
412 Posts
we are still stocked with dove up a little bit north. i think they're on to us trying to kill em though as i see all the power lines loaded with them yet they seem to be absent from the woods. since it hasn't been cool they haven't been moving much and there isn't much for turn over for doves, so lately the local population in the woods is down due to being blasted everyday by hunters.
I wish it would get cold so you guys can have your doves and i can have my honkers.

G

·
I got em all in a pen back behind the house. I'll let em out this weekend but ya better be locked and loaded they will move through fast.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
I just came in from my usual "Honey Hole". I have the look of a sick pup on my face. Not a Bird :( . At sunset you have been able to set your watch with the Incoming Birds for several years and as late as 1.5 weeks ago :wink: . Mickey must be broke :( :? :shock:
My pardner just smiled as we were loading up to leave and said "At Least I Don't have to Clean My Gun" :roll: He also said he would bring a book next time :shock:
Only good thing was, He did not look near as "UP TIGHT" as he did at work this week.

Oh Well; Still beats a good day at work. :wink:

Sad Sack

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I only got out once this year in NorCal. It was in the evening on 13th of this month. I remember because it was my sons 18th birthday and that is how we celebrated.

Spending time with your son is awesome but spending time with your son shooting dove is priceless! There were 4 of us and we took 20 dove. We all shot like S**T or we would all have had our limits. Oh well, great day with some fine shooting and now some fine eating.

·
Registered
350 Posts
:(
South Zone opens here (Texiz) tomorrow and our prospects are bleak. Weather is menacing and San Antonio got deluged yesterday. The G-2 reports few or no birds at either option for tomorrow. Verily, this sucketh!
We'll be hunting near Stockdale, BTW. At least it's free.
LancerTheFrustrated

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Fibman,

As a former FIB,(been transplanted for 11 years now) how 'bout them Bears!!! You should here the whinning going on up here.

Where are you hunting? I'm hunting ~30 miles north of Milwaukee and there are doves all over the place, just not in a place where I can shoot'em. I'll try and send some geese your way this weekend. I'm headed "Way Up-North" for the northern zone duck opener. There is supposed to be a cold from this weekend to take us down to a balmy 65 degrees on Saturday.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Hunted opening day in SC and last weekend in VA.

Killed limit in 48 min with 18 shells in SC.

Killed 10 in 2 hrs with 14 shells in VA.

Season is going good in the south. Must be all them hurricanes or something.

I find the birds fly better on overcast days with a light breeze. They don't mind light rain, but will only fly if pushed on a windy day. Doves are fragile, so they don't like blustery conditions.

Set up under a light line, throw some deeks over the line with a fishin rod. I have a Mojo that I set on the upwind side of the line so the birds can see it rather than look at my swinging SKB 20. Piece of cake.

Andy

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm reluctant to tell it, for fear outsiders will come to hunt, but they're thick in the stuttgart/clarendon AR area. Cut milo and rice patties. It's not as good as it was way back, but you can shoot your birds on the mississippi flyway.

G

·
I'll tell you what drives me nuts is all the birds and fat ones flying around town and I've seen them in groups of 10 to 20 birds like a covey here in Lubbock, We have them flying too out in the fields, but this year I can't hit the broadside of a barn it is just driving me crazy. We have had a explosion of ring neck dove here in town too which I understand has no limit on them but none out in the field. I've seen more quail this year than dove with all the rain we've had up here it looks like it is going to be a great quail season...I flush two coveys two weeks ago one of about 20 birds the other 30 to 50 birds all bobs. Good luck guys...oh yeah we did kill enough to have a great pepper/bacon/dove grilling went down real good with long tall blondes.

David_g

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm from the Dallas area and I bought the public license this year.

I hunted East Windom on opening day this year with a couple of friends of mine. I don't think they can shoot too well so, I was lucky enough to shoot about two limits each day. LOL

After that, opening weekend, I have gone a couple of places and I haven't even shot my gun. I even set out decoys.

I went to Lowes and got some plumber's pipe and made a big cross shaped thing that I put decoys on and hammered it into the middle of a cut field and..... NOTHING!!!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
:( We didn't have that good of a year either. A week before the opener, a weather system change came thru the valley and where you could count as many as 100 doves on a telephone line (just all over the place...) POOF ! I'd say 99% of them headed to Mexico/south. At the end of the opening season they were just starting to fly back in.
BUT.... boy, you otta saw the chukar ! One area that I was hunting dove, I counted about a dozen large covey. There was a coyote in the area keeping busy trying to bag himself a supper. He didn't worry about us ! :shock:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.