Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you shoot sporting clays south or southwest of Chicago?

I live in Manhattan, IL (about 50 miles south of Chicago) and I am just getting started in sporting. I have shot at Seneca hunt club once. I am looking for a good club to join and some good folks to shoot with.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Clayhammer said:
Try www.claytargetsonline.com or look around the Illinois sporting clays association website. After pheasent season you can shoot for free at the Desplaines rec. area or the Kank. rec area if you have your own trap. PM me if you have questions, I'm in Tinley Park.
Clayhammer:
I'm moving back to IL next year. Where is the DesPlaines rec. area and that you can shoot for free?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Crawfish:

I asked the same question about a month or so ago. Here's the responses I received. Morris may be close to you???

Member at West Chicago (like it but it is small)

St. Charles (Lots of Trap fields - Good Sporting Clays - Skeet Member Only)

Knollwood (Great Skeet three fields shoot non stop) Just farthest from my house only open one day a week.

Also is Aurora never shot there.

Add Downers Grove, now located in Morris, to your list. It's about a 40 minute ride from Naperville but its a nice club and its open to the public. Trap, skeet, and five stand

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Des Plaines conservation area is located in Wilmington off of I-55 I think at exit 241. Their address is 24621 N River Rd. If you exit the highway going southbound, turn right at the stopsign on the exit ramp. About a tenth of a mile you will see one shooting range to your right and about a quarter mile further up the road you will see the second one. Each range can hold three sets of shooters but it is more comfortable with two. Don't bring battery powered traps, the IDNR will not let you use them, fire hazard/battery acid, maybe? Make sure you also bring a rake to clean up your spent shells though. They almost shut it down this year because a lot of people leave the place a mess when they are done. Like I said, the ranges are closed right now for pheasent season and will re-open later this winter.

The club in Aurora is small but trap and skeet are open to the public certian days of the week. March through October they have open sporting clays events once a month.

Northbrook is probally the nicest club around but I think that sporting clays is only open to members. I've shot tounaments there and I have shot as a guest. It is also far away, at least for me.

My dad and I are going to try a couple of places in Indiana this winter. I've called a few and they range from $25 to $40 for a round. They all seem very nice and accomidating. Some clubs in Illinois tend to be a little stuck up, at least the fancy expensive ones! :lol:

I haven't shot at many other Illinois clubs (I want to go to Upland Hunt Club soon) but if anyone has any imput or sugestions, let me know.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Out-of-state residents are allowed to shoot at Northbrook a limited number of times per year. Generally, however, if you hook up with a squad of members, one of them will sign you in as his guest.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

For Trap, skeet, wobble clays, and 5 stand in our area you can go to Frankfort Sportsmans club. On 191st st between LaGrange Rd and Harlem on the north side. Must get a membership there and I think a shooting membership is something like 45 bux or so. They shoot Monday is sporting league, Tues is Trap League, Wed, Fri, and Sunday is open shoots. M, T, W, F shooting starts at 6pm untill 10. Sunday shooting starts at 9am and goes untill 3 or 4.

Good bunch of guys there.

Palos Sportsmans Club. Harlem ave about half mile south of Stuenkel Rd. Go south on Harlem untill the road T's hang a left, go to first right and the club is bout a half mile or so on the right. Very nice facilities. Trap, skeet, 5 stand, dont know about wobble. NO SC. Very pricey to join here, only one membership level available $100 initiation, $250 annual dues. Have not shot there, but did stop and look around. Also, only daytime shooting there as they build the fields looking straight west into the afternoon sun.

Then there is Downers Grove Sportsmans Club. Out in Morris off of Rt 6, past the Morris Country club turn south and go past the golf course that will be on your right (cant remember the name of this course) Not exactly sure where it is from there but shouldnt be to hard to find. I think they have all the shooting games there, trap, skeet, 5stand and a new SC course. Plan on going there soon myself.

Hope this helps some of you out. And if you are looking for someone to go shooting with just gimme a holler. Im in New Lenox.

Roger

·
Registered
938 Posts
Try the Oakwood Gun Club (http://www.oakwoodgunclub.com/Oakwood/index.htm). It's a very nice club in Wheatfield, Indiana. I run into quite a few shooters from the Chicago area there. Oakwood has two trap ranges, a Skeet range, and a ten-station sporting clays range set up in a forest. It's a very well-kempt club. They host a 100-bird sporting clays fun shoot on the first Sunday of each month at 9:30 AM (central time). The next one is on December 2. I'll be there.

Tom

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
If you're near the 294 Tollway, one of the best places to shoot is the North Shore Winchester Club near Franksville, Wisconsin. It's right on the tollway, and not much farther time -wise than Northbrook. They shoot trap, skeet, and sporting clays. It's open to the public, so it's no hassle. Just show up, and they'll squad you on the sporting clays, trap or skeet field.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.