Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I use a thick razor blade and trim the 1/8" or so off the top.Don't want to damage that wad. :wink: There are several tools on the market for dismanteling hulls- BUT how many would it take to recover that 25-$30 cost.By the way cut 'em open over something that will catch the shot-I use a 1 gallon ice cream bucket. :!: :lol: Pull the wad with a pair of needle nose and there you go 8) 8)

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Just saw something last week called a "Shark" or something that a buddy bought for dismantling 12 ga shells....for something like around $25.00 or thereabouts. Handy little tool....so I made one for myself. But I made mine with 2 holes in it...one for 20 ga and another for 28 ga. Installed 2 cutting blades (x-acto knife blades).

Two scrap pieces of oak, 1 little brass hinge, 2 knife blades I had laying around in my tool box.....total cost....around $2.00....MAYBE. :wink:

The cut line made by the "Shark"....and my home made gizmo is 1 1/4" down from the top of the shell. Works great.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Old Vet said:
I made one for myself. Installed 2 cutting blades (x-acto knife blades).
Two scrap pieces of oak, 1 little brass hinge, 2 knife blades I had laying around in my tool box.....total cost....around $2.00....MAYBE. :wink:
The cut line made by the "Shark"....and my home made gizmo is 1 1/4" down from the top of the shell. Works great.
Could you post a picture of your gizmo? I would like to make one, or something similar. A fellow who was moving gave me 2 cases of reloads, but he said they were pretty hot, and didn't think I should shoot them, but could salvage some of the components. I hate cutting up good hulls :( Several nice old blue Remington Peters, and the old silver AA's..not much choice though, I dont want to spend hours picking them open.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
12 GA Guy

No time today but sure will for you tomorrow. It's a bit rough since I just used what I happened to find lying around and didn't really finish it off. :oops: But you'll get the idea. I kinda rushed it so it's not as "nice" as it could be. Not pretty...but functional. :wink: I plan on making more. This first one was just a trial.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I just take a sharp pocket knife and cut the roll off the top of the hull. Pull the crimp off, pour the shot into the hopper, pull the wad with needle nose pliers, pour powder back into bottle then deprime hull. I don't think a primer will get set off by depriming I just don't worry about it. The only thing that is junk is the hull. Everything else gets reused.

Bryan

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
If they're AA HS's, 28's or .410, I ain't about to cut them open an ruin a "good hull". :shock:

I'll pick that sucker open an salvage everything, including the hull. :D

Ruin 2 AA HS's an that's 25 less shots you can make, cuz they can be reloaded 10-12 times. Or more. :lol:

12's an 20's, don't matter with them.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts

12 GA Guy....here's this little gizmo I made the other day.

As I mentioned, I didn't go to a whole lot of trouble. This was just an experiment...but it is functional.

Next one I make I'll take a little more time and shape a handle etc on it. This one does 20 ga and 28 ga.

I drilled the 28 ga hole with a spade bit....did the 20 ga hole with a forstner bit.

Just a couple small pieces of scrap oak, a little brass hinge and 2 x-acto blades.

Don't need it often but it does come in handy when I do need to cut a few shells apart.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Thanks Old Vet! :D Very Nifty! That would save a lot of fooling around and the risk of slicing a finger off :shock:

I'm more of a mechanic than a woodworker, but I believe I could manage making one of those units... :lol:

I've not seen blades quite like yours before, but I'm sure I could find some or use a similar type blade.

Always learn a lot on this forum..I've been saving my spent primers to fill a shot bag, to use as a sand bag for my rifle target shooting. Empty primer trays for drink coasters. I might even save the hulls I cut open and make some Christmas lights from them.. :)

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
12 Ga Guy

Those blades came from an X-Acto knife set as used by hobbyists. It has a wide variety of blades but those seemed the best of the bunch....kind of a "hook" blade. But the best thing about them is that they have 2 holes in them...good for securing them so they wont move when turning the shell in the hole during cutting (note the 2 small screws through them). If you use a blade with only one screw securing it, it will pivot when trying to cut so you'll need to use something against the back of it as a stop.....a small finishing nail...or another small screw or something.

Have fun tinkering and good luck. :)

·
Registered
331 Posts
12GA guy said:
.I've been saving my spent primers to fill a shot bag, to use as a sand bag for my rifle target shooting.
Not sure I would want to save the spent primers to use at all, don't they contain a lot of lead residue from the primer mix?

Michael Grace

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.