Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks!

Well, I took my 14-year-old nephew, Garrett, out today for his first real shotgunning lesson from someone who knows how to break clays.

Which, of course, excludes me.

First, the good news ... Garrett's instructor -- Ron, at Warrington Sporting Clays -- was really impressed with both his skills and his eagerness to learn. Yes, I got the kid started with the basics of safety and operation, but Ron was teaching him hold points, break points, leads and good stuff like that. Best of all, Garrett was hitting targets, tough targets.

Now, the bad news ... I don't have a bats chance of ever getting my Browning Ultra Sporter (viewtopic.php?f=53&t=440530) back again. I'm afraid it's Garrett's gun now :D

But seriously ... Garrett is very competitive and would like to shoot in some formal sporting clays competitions. That's great, but apparently, you have to be "registered" to shoot in these competitions.

Where do you register?

Thanks!
Dave

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
There are a couple of possibilities. First, he can simply join the National Sporting Clays Association (NSCA). Go here for details: http://nsca.nssa-nsca.org

Another option is to look up the nearest youth shooting program folks; they will have info on how he can get involved. The youth program may be sponsored by Scholastic Clay Target Program (SCTP), Future Farmers of America (FFA), 4H, etc. Check at your local gun club; they should have some information.

Good luck in getting him started with competitive shooting.

·
Registered
27,021 Posts
Which discipline is he interested in - trap, skeet, or sporting clays? I know at a registered sporting clays shoot, they will sign you up for the NSCA (and IIRC, you'll get a free limited membership). I do not know if trap or skeet follow that same idea at their shoots. Each discipline has a website (the NSCA and NSSA are headed by the same folks) and there are directions on how to join. Since he is young, most sporting clay shoots allow these folks (both junior and sub-junior) to typically shoot for a reduced entry fee.

Good luck and I hope he sticks with after the girls and cars syndromes kick in!

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Great to hear about young shooters getting excited about Sporting Clays! A warning, however.

Introducing heavy competition to a newbie could quickly douse the flames of excitement if he goes up against a strong field of shooters in his class!

Generally, the youth programs offer softer targets and a more even field in that adult shooters cannot compete. Often a better step for a young shooter just starting. If he blasts through the competition it is quick and easy to step up to NSCA events.

His coach, if experienced, will know best, but this is something to consider.

Demi

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
NSSA and NSCA offer a complimentary limited membership for the first year. This late in the competition year, I might wait until next year to join. Also, joining either organization automatically gives you a member number for the other. Don't worry about your nephew having to compete against better shooters; that's what classes are for.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OldSkeeter said:
There are a couple of possibilities. First, he can simply join the National Sporting Clays Association (NSCA). Go here for details: http://nsca.nssa-nsca.org
Will do. Thanks!

oneounceload said:
Which discipline is he interested in - trap, skeet, or sporting clays?
Sporting clays. I showed him some guys shooting trap. Like me, he was bored out of his mind :D

oneounceload said:
Good luck and I hope he sticks with after the girls and cars syndromes kick in!
Yeah, I figure I have about two years to get the seed planted.

Island Shooter said:
Great to hear about young shooters getting excited about Sporting Clays! A warning, however.

Introducing heavy competition to a newbie could quickly douse the flames of excitement if he goes up against a strong field of shooters in his class!
Understood and agreed. Thanks!

dakotashooter2 said:
Now, the bad news ... I don't have a bats chance of ever getting my Browning Ultra Sporter (viewtopic.php?f=53&t=440530) back again. I'm afraid it's Garrett's gun now
That's a good problem to have.......... :D
Yes it is :D

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
See if you can take him to see a competition and the stiffer targets. in some places you can shoot the tournament targets the next day for practice. Check out the 4H shooting sports in your area. they do a good job. Tell us where you are and someone can suggest a good youth program in that area.

·
Registered
732 Posts
There are tons of SCTP teams in PA. Go to SSSFONLINE.ORG and see what's near you. Look under "teams" & SCTP. Look into PA and contact the coaches for your county/school. Getting good instruction is a key, and it won't be long until he will beat you and most other adults. This year just finished and most teams slow down until the spring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.