Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just getting into shotguns and want to make a good first desicion. I plan to duck hunt and clay shoot more than turkey, but plan to do all three. I am deliberating between the different Benelli models and my dilemma is this. The SBE is on it's way out and I can get one in camo for $899, The SBE II is $1299. Both as you know will shoot 3 1/2" but only one with the comfort tech. Or $1050 for the M2 w/ comfort tech (no 3"). Is the recoil advantage of the SBE II worth $400? Also I was advised to go with a 26" barrel for the ease in a duck blind. Is it true that the 24" SBE points like a 26" because of the way the barrel is layed out on the gun?

Any suggestions? thanks :?

·
Banned
8,378 Posts
I won`t tell you which gun to buy but from my experience with the comfort stocks they do work. My son and I use the supersport which is not a hunting gun but I am a believer in the stocks. Shooting a supersport 2 with a wood stock was all it took to form a opinion. There is a difference in a supersport stock though as it is a carbon fiber stock not plastic.

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
I've never been handicapped with a 28" barrel 870 in both the duck blind and the turkey woods. The advice you got regarding barrel length is very subjective and doesn't have enough basis to take as gospel.

If you don't shoot 3 1/2" magnums, the need for recoil reduction goes way down. I've never had a duck or goose that I centered fail to die when hit with 2 3/4" and 3" steel shells. The key is high speed loads (>1500 fps) and a good pattern. If you want it simple, buy Hevi-Shot, Bismuth, or Tungsten Matrix in 1 1/4 oz loads of #6, #5, or #4 and no duck will escape a good hit.

We can shoot lead at turkeys, so there is absolutely no reason to use a 3 1/2" shell on them.

·
Registered
13,108 Posts
3" models make better all around guns than a 3 1/2" model. If you were to use the gun just for waterfowling and turkey hunting then the SBE/SBE II would be the way to go.
The advantage of the SBE II over the SBE comes down to a few things. The recoil spring and tube in the stock has been improved on the II. The new design is more rust resistent and much easier to maintain. The trigger gaurd is much larger which is nice for gloved hands. The ComforTech has far more to do with marketing than recoil reduction. The soft comb that can be removed is a nice feature.
It's true that a 24" barreled SBE will point similar to most semi's with a 26" barrel. It's not because how the barrel is mounted to the gun. It's becaues it's on the long side in overall length. The extra length comes from the 3 1/2" chamber and the rotary bolt face. Guns with a rotary bolt face tend to be longer than top locking bolt models.

Anyone of the models you listed will work well for your intended uses. The M2 will more than likely cycle the lighter stuff than either of the SBE models. Once you do decide on a model pick the barrel length that feels the best to you.

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
I recently bouht a SBE and an M! Super 90 20 ga. The SBEII is worth the extra money in my opinion if you plan on using it for more than waterfowling. I have shot both and the II is a lighter gun that I have shot light target loads through.

You can find used m1's and SBE's arouind right now for good prices because there are a lot of people trading for the new models.

Barrel length is what you feel most comfortable with but many don't like the short barrels in Duck blinds.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you feel that you really need a 3 1/2 gun for waterfowl my advice would be to try shooting over decoys and then you could simply use a standard 2 3/4 load of steel and a modified choke.

Otherwise, why not wait a couple of years; they're bound to come out with a 4 inch load.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
RemingtonBoy said:
M1 Field or M2 field
My thought exactally. I would also look at a gas gun like the Beretta 391.

In regards to shooting a 3.5" shell you can get great performance out of the newer 3" shells for waterfowl hunting. The other isshe w/ 3.5" guns is that they don't always cycle the light target loads. This is why I bought my 391 urika. Also the gas guns also tend to have less recoil.

Have you shot any of the Benellis you list? If not you should and should try other semi-autos as well before you buy any gun.

Just my $0.02. Good luck.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Good choices all around. But here is my 2 cents worth.

I have an M2 field with a wood stock and 28 inch barrel. I use it for Trap, 5-Stand, Sproting Clays and hunting. I have compared the recoil of this configuration against the comfortech stocks using the same loads through a round of 5-stand (25 Birds) and cannot tell the difference in recoil. I did notice slightly less recoil with the Beretta 390's though. But not enough difference to offset all of the jamming issues that I have seen with them at the range and sporting clays courses.

I average about 3 flats a month for the clay sports with out any gun related failures to fire. THis is over a 1.5 year period that I have had this gun. I use 2.75" 2.75Dram Eq., 1 ounce #8s for my clays shooting.

In the hunting department I bagged 14 pheasant last year, but so far none this year.

This year I went on a goose hunt where I ussed 3" #2 and #B heavy shot. I could not tell the difference in recoil between these shells and the 1 ounce target loaads that I use. THis is after going through 2 boxes of each. I was able to get 3 nice canadians. Part of this trip was also a duck hunt and it performed great there as well. This time I was using 2.75" #4 heavy shot with out any noticeable differences in recoil. I was only able to get 2 ducks though. One was a nice mallard drake and the other was a pintail drake. Since the linmit here includes only 1 pintail, and most all of the ducks that were cooperating were pintails that limited my bag.

So I think that you can say the M2 is a pretty good gun for your needs.

Pick the one that best fits your needs and shooting style and if you can try shooting them at a range before you buy.

Good luck and enjoy your choice.

Mike :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.