Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here. Im in the market for a new all purpose shotgun.The only shotgun I own as of now is a 870 wingmaster which is great but id like an auto. This will be used for deer(with slug barrel),turkey,crows,pheasant,coyote and some clay for fun. Ive narrowed it down to a SBE2 or M2; now for my questions...what is the difference between the two other than the SBE2 is 3 1/2 capable? Which length barrel for my needs? (i want the timber camo version so i guess its between 24" or 26") Is the slug barrel forearm campatable with the field barrel, or do i need two seperate? Anything else please recommend. Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
bower,

I can tell you that I was in your position 3 months ago. I started pouring over the forums looking for opinions on benelis. The best thing that helped me decide was to get out a sheet a paper, make some columns and start writing. Put down the pros and cons for the models you are thinking about getting. First, ask yourself if you really need a 3 1/2 inch shooting gun. I decided I didnt. A lot of turkey and geese are shot with 3 inch shells.
If possible, get to a store and hold them. It makes a big difference of the feel between guns.
I saw an older SBE that the camo color had faded. It was a gun that was for sale at a Gander Mtn. That made me leery about getting one. Some guys say that the new ones dont fade. I would ask around about it.
Eventually, I went with a Cordorba (black). I liked the feel and the twist in choke tubes.

Good luck and let us know what you decide

·
Registered
22 Posts
I also asked myself the same question over a year ago. After much debate and consideration, I decided to go with the 24inch timber camo M2. A year later, I'm very happy with my decision and absolutely love the gun! I use it for quail, pheasant, rabbit, deer, turkey, crows, and ducks. That gun has never let me down and I can shoot it like no other. Never once have a felt the need for a 3 1/2 inch capability. Hunters have killed turkey, geese, ducks, etc. with 2 3/4 inch shells for years and 3 inch is plenty for me. 3 1/2 shells are more expensive and cause more recoil. I also went with the 24 inch barrel since I hunt duck and turkey. There are no differences in shot patterns in the barells you mentioned and I like the lighter weight, better handling, and easier pointing ability for the smaller 24 inch barrel. I think the M2 would be a great all purpose gun for you. Hope this helps, and let us know what you get.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Unless you plan to shoot 3.5" shells, I would go with the M2. My M2 is my "all purpose" SG for upland, waterfowl, and trap (my other SG's have been collecting dust ever since I got it).

I've got the 26" bbl, and if I was to do it all over again, I would probably go with a 24" barrel since the majority of my hunting is upland birds. From what I've been brought up to understand (and read) the majority of the reasons to get a longer barrel is to help with pass shooting. My first SG had a 28" bbl on it, but all my subsequent guns have shorter barrels. To be honest, I probably wouldn't notice the difference between a 28" and 24" other than weight. Better barrel construction and quality chokes have made a big difference over older guns, so length probably doesn't really matter all that much any more (no pun intended). Go with what feels comfortable to you (really no pun intended!). Note: unless somebody knows of a good retailer, after market barrels for the Benelli's are expensive!

I'd recommend getting one with the Comfortech stock on it. I especially like the padded comb for cheek protection, and the butt pad eats up a lot of the recoil.

Camouflage finish... I avoid that since I hunt in all kinds of vegetation. (Plus I have these re-occurring nightmares of losing my SG in the brush!) My M2 has a matte finish, so it doesn't reflect much sunlight. The bonus to camouflage finishes (from what I've heard) is they are pretty durable and protect the SG from scratches. It's a case of personal preferences. Good luck, and good hunting!

Merry Christmas

·
Registered
120 Posts
Been there, done that and I also went with the M-2. Liked it so much I went back and bought the M-2 slug gun. It is truly an all around shotgun. But my choice was mostly based on ergonomics...the M-2 just plain slap feels better in my hands and points and swings better too. Now that's just me and many guys like the SBE II. I just dont like that big pipe extension on the receiver of the SBE II, I like the conventional looking lines of the receiver on the M-2. One other factor for me is that for heavy waterfowl and turkeys I have a 10 ga. Browning Gold. For long range Canadian geese, hard to kill sea ducks and a gobbler at 50 yards its hard to beat the "mighty 10ga." If I didn't have one I would probably get a SBE II but I would still have my M-2 for everything else.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has heard of a cantilever slug barrel for the M2? I would like to use my M2 for bird and deer hunting, but do not want to put my scope on each year and resite. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've owned and hunted with both. My first was a black 24" M90.

It shot everything I put in it, and it fit me like a dream.

Of course I had to sell it to get a camo SBE with a 26" tube.

I like it but................. I never used anything bigger than a 3" shell, and the receiver area is longer, and does not fit me the same as an M90.

Pick them both up.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Cbisher,
There are no cantilever barrels available that I have seen. I looked everywhere when I bought my M2 and finally bit the bullet and bought the M2 slug gun also. I got mine around the first month they came out and they listed the slug barrel separate. I ordered one but it wasn't available yet either. Seems it was expensive then around $400.00+. Although the M2 slug gun has a drilled and tapped receiver I like and use the Damar mount. If I had it to do over again today I would buy the 20ga slug gun. That was what I really wanted three years ago but they didnt offer the 20 ga in a slugger. Barrel fits my 12 ga slugger tight so I didn't bolt it and it shoots fine. Also, the factory barrel is 1 in 28 twist, faster for the newer sabots.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts