Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here. Im in the market for a new all purpose shotgun.The only shotgun I own as of now is a 870 wingmaster which is great but id like an auto. This will be used for deer(with slug barrel),turkey,crows,pheasant,coyote and some clay for fun. Ive narrowed it down to a SBE2 or M2; now for my questions...what is the difference between the two other than the SBE2 is 3 1/2 capable? Which length barrel for my needs? (i want the timber camo version so i guess its between 24" or 26") Is the slug barrel forearm campatable with the field barrel, or do i need two seperate? Anything else please recoomend. Thanks

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have the SBE II (28" black ) and my father has the M2 (28" black). Both are used mostly for clays (yes, clays). The SBE II is my favorite firearm of any kind (if you can do cross-firearm comparisons). Both have been flawless and have been used with all kinds of loads within their chambering in all kinds of weather.

Before you ask, yes, my SBE II regularly cycles 1 oz loads. I have never tried it with 3/4 oz load, because I do not reload 12 ga. and they are hard to find and expensive. In fact, for the last 3 or 4 months, all I have been shooting out of it are Remington 1 oz. game loads available at Wal-Mart. I have shot about 500 1 oz. loads in said time period.

That being said, my father loves his M2, and the conventional wisdom is that it is the better general purpose gun. My mileage varies from this. However, purchasing an M2 rather than an SBE II will save you $200-400.

One major problem for both is the availability of extra barrels. This is a major problem for Benelli. However, both guns are tapped and use Weaver mounts. I just use Foster slugs, and everything is okay. My friend also has an SBE II and has a rifled choke for it. It works for him, but I don't know what brand it is.

Elliott

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Of the 4 different guys using SBE's I have shot clay targets with I have seen 4 have problems with light target loads. I have only shot with one shooter with the M2. No problems with any loads. I would save the 500 dollars.

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
I have an SBE II, and like the fellow above have had no problems cycling target loads in it, but I really only use it for goose hunting.

If you don't want the capability to shoot 3 1/2 shells, you don't need the SBE II. They both have Comfort-tech combs and butt pads (which I rather like), both have shims to adjust fit with, and other than 3 1/2" capability the only other thing I like about the SBE II is that the top of the receiver comes off with the barrel. This gun is such a cinch to clean its amazing...but for the extra money, if you don't want magnum shell capability get the M2...they are almost identical and you can save yourself some money.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Bower,

+1 for the M2. Since Thanksgiving, I've been considering the same question (with the Montefeltro also as an option). In the end, I decided on the M2 with 26" barrel. For what I want to do with it, I can't see how 3.5" chamber will help me, the M2 should cycle lighter loads, and the price was much easier to take.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased the M2 here in December....well, my dog bought it for me for Christmas and that's the story I am sticking with...I took it out shooting at skeet and trap....The club rules were that you could only load one shell at a time...I noticed the gun kicked far more than my old 870 wingmaster...maybe it was due to not cycling in another shell...I shot pretty good with it....I personally would choose the M2 just because I have no reason to shoot 3 and 1/2 shells....especially over decoys...maybe someone can tell me how to tone that damn gun down...I really am not recoil sensitive, but the difference was far more noticeable than expected....I thought there was a reduction in recoil, not an addition....go figure.

·
Registered
204 Posts
bowerj said:
im still wondering what the $300-400 difference in these two guns are? surely just stepping up to 3 1/2 shells isnt the only thing the SBE2 offers that the m2 doesnt?
I can explain some differences between the M2 and SBEII.

No mid bead (M2) vs. mid bead (SBEII) on sight rib, slope on the receiver vs. a more hump back receiver on the SBE II, the trigger guards are shaped a little differently. Both guns use the same mechanics and barrels.

When the SBE II is stripped for cleaning, you have access to the trigger mechanism because the top of the receiver is part of the barrel. This allows easier cleaning of the receiver. Also this makes it easier to remove the trigger assembly for cleaning.

Regarding the 3 ½" vs 3" shells, I tend to agree that 3 ½" is not needed due to hevi-shot replacing steel shot shells. However you have the added flexibility to use 3 ½" for home defense shells in OO or OOO buckshot. Read: More pellets per shell.

Of course you can use either 2 ¾", 3" or 3 ½" shells in the SBEII.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have owned both and the SBE I is possibly the finest firearm I have ever owned. It cycled everything flawlessly and was just a dream to shoot (after installing the limbsaver). I have not owned the II. My M2 on the other hand was a dog that I could not wait to get rid of. I should have known something when it took the store 3 different ones to bring out before I could find one that looked good. The first 2 that they brought out all had rust or cosmetic issues. It may have just been a bad batch, but when I took it out on opening day and had it misfire constantly, I was through with the M2. Go with the SBE and you won't be sorry!

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
drnorcal-As far as toning down the recoil, I strongly recommend a Limbsaver brand recoil pad. Just Google them, they have excellent customer service. I installed one on my Stoeger 2000 and it became an entirely more pleasant gun to pull the trigger on. It made such a difference that I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't felt the difference for myself.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
"im still wondering what the $300-400 difference in these two guns are? surely just stepping up to 3 1/2 shells isnt the only thing the SBE2 offers that the m2 doesnt? "

I would think that the extra cost comes in two areas. First would be that since the 3 1/2" guns are tested to higher pressures, it may cost more to proof them. Second is economics. Some people just have to have them and are willing to pay the price.

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
I own both and would go with the M2. The 3.5 inch shell is not necessary and in my opinion save the extra cash and go with the m2.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts