Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I use Light Modified at almost everything, I am not a big choke changer, if I feel the need to change I will put in Skeet or Improved Modified depending on the presentation.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I use Lt Mod (.015) on 95% of the targets I shoot. The only time I change is if I'm shooting something that's right in my face or WAY out on the horizon; in those situations I'll use Cyl or Imp Mod.

However, since I almost always forget to bring additional chokes I end up leaving the Lt Mod choke in the gun and make it work.

·
Banned
25,625 Posts
I agree with Eriehunter. I normally shoot a semi and use LM 90% of the time, unless the pair of targets are extremely close or far out. In which case I go with Sk and IM, respectively. When shooting an O/U I typically use Sk and LM.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I use an auto 12ga and leave the IC in ALL the time. I have plenty of other chokes though. I've almost convienced myself that I'd do soooo much better with a LM. Depending on the presentation, I'll shoot different shot size, 8 for closer and 7 1/2 for further shots.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have shot my best scores with a spreader and a cylinder in my DT10.
A lot of shooters say they only us one choke.
That is like going to the golf course with one club! :lol:

·
Registered
471 Posts
I usually shoot a 391. For practice, it's LM all the time. For Tournaments, it's LM and I carry a Skeet & IM tube. I don't think I've ever used the IM, either. Fewer choices are better, for me. I also carry a box of Spreader loads for the 1 close/1 far pairs you occasionally get. In my O/U, it's IC on the bottom & LM on the top.
Regards, George

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
IC and LTmod in my gun. My shooting partner uses skeet and IC.

·
Registered
682 Posts
During competition I like to think I use the "correct" choke all the time. I don't mind changing and I figure I might as well be doing something while I'm waiting at each station.

For practice I only use Super Full (.040").

Kyler

·
Registered
456 Posts
Just for the hell of it, last week I switched to enternal IC-M
and went out to shoot a round of SC, felt like a different gun
with no ext. chokes sticking out of barrel, the gun is a sporter,
came with ext. chokes, put in inv. plus chokes fom another
shotgun.........liked the way it swings........seems lighter.
Probably all in my little head. Keeps things interesting!
Shot good score....couldn't tell difference from LM-LM in
target breaking ability at all.

·
Registered
32 Posts
SKT/IC or IC/LM depends on the course but I rarely change once I am out there other than shifting barrels. Been seeing a lot of presentations lately where the first shot is long and the second being close and quick.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
It really depends on your shooting level and confidence. There would be nothing wrong with going out with IC & Mod in a double gun or a mod in a single barreled shotgun. For better part of a century this worked before screw in chokes and still does. Work on your fundamentals and learn to properly focus when shooting and I gaurantee you'll stop working about the choke.
b.t.w. I use Mod and Imp Mod and never feel over or under choked. I'm a believer that one shouldn't be missing a 10 yard target with a .22 let alone a shotgun and can't recall a target being missed because of the choke when I do my part.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Being as I shoot a fixed choke o/u, I had to decide what choking to settle for!
I've had mulitchoked guns, but ended up leaving the same chokes in all the time, probably laziness!

I chose 1/2 & 3/4 (I think that's Mod & Imp Mod in the US).
I want to be assured of a dense enough pattern at longer range edge on clays, but at the shorter ranges, I have to be a little more precise with shot placement.
At the shorter ranges, I get a lot of 'smoked' clays, and good breaks at distance.

I do however shoot fibre wad shells, but if I were shooting plastic wad, I would probably have the chokes loosened up a little.

Ensign:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Here's the bottom line.... out to 40 yards IT DOESN'T MATTER. If you missed witth an XF, you missed with a SK1.

Beyond 40 yards a MOD will reliably crunch clays out beyond where you really shouldn't be shooting anyway.

Pick a choke ( or two from the IC, SK2, MOD group), put them in the gun and FORGET ABOUT THEM. There's enough things to consider about breaking a bird as it is. Get the choke selection out of the equation....shells too for that matter.

Years ago Smoker Smith proved that to me... definitively. IC/IC and light 8's were crushing a trailing pair at 60+ yards that very few were hitting at all. It was practice day and Smoker ran 9 or 10 pair before he missed.

Personally I NEVER change chokes and I NEVER change shells.
SK2 and MOD + .002. International 8's and we're off to the races. The reason I chalk up a 'O' is ususally lack of focus... NOT THE CHOKE OR SHELL.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts