Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, competition skeet has four basic events. 12, 20, 28 *****, and .410Which gun (Over/Under) allows you to switch the barrels for each *****??The only ones I found close, but this is not confirmed, is the Beretta 687EELL or the IZH27.Does anyone know for sure? I'd rather not use tube sets.8o

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
In skeet now the 4 barrel sets are pretty much a thing of the past. The tube set has really replaced the barrel set. The tube set can be made for any gun and actually cost alot less then a barrel set would. Advantage to the tube set is you have the same sight picture with the different gauges. The Weight is about 10 -14oz for the pair depending on the type of tube set you buy. The added weight helps with a smoother swing where as the barrel sets were alot more whippy. Steven

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
OK, Mikey, why not the tube sets? Briley and others have made good progress with these such that most comp shooters are using tube sets. I admit, taking a hammer to the gun does look odd :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
More gathering info than anything. I'm not convinced that tubes are the way to go for sport. Maybe the serious competitors think they have an extra edge because they never change guns... In my case I'd rather not spend the few minutes it takes to change the tubes out. It just seems easier to switch barrels.

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
I think its going to be just a slight edge, as you have to drop the forearm then break the gun anyway vs swapping tubes. You planning on swapping between stations? There is a fine line between hobby and insanity.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:You planning on swapping between stations?No, of course not. But I don't think you should swap tubes without a thogough cleaning either. That takes time.

·
Registered
483 Posts
There is no need to clean the barrel between changing full length tubes, they all are the exact length and go to the end of the barrel.I can swap mine in like a minSteven

·
Registered
8 Posts
Koler and Kreighoff make what is called a carrier barrel for tube sets. Its made so that when you use the tubes in it it matches the weight of the 12ga barrels . Dave

·
Registered
109 Posts
And now you have the option of chamber inserts, too. Pick up the last two issues of Sporting Clays to see a review of two companies versions of these. Actually, they are not "new" as Browning had their own version some years ago.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Remington made a o/u that had four barrel sets and they run between $2000 and $2600. I think their is one for sale on www.gunbroker.com. I think its about $2300. Its called a skeet master.

·
Registered
483 Posts
The on gunbroker is just a 3200 with a very very old tube set made by skeetmaster. Those tubes really add no value to the gun as they are not made anymore and can't be repaired.
Ryan

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
mtaylor said:
Maybe the serious competitors think they have an extra edge because they never change guns...
There is no "think". It is an edge. It has been proven of the course of many years.

Scott

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
mtaylor said:
But I don't think you should swap tubes without a thogough cleaning either. That takes time.
Why?

Scott

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
The only time I personally have seen a four barrel set be an avantage is for someone is just isn't strong enough to handle the heavier tube set.

However, regardless of all the reasons we think one way or another, the "right" gun for you is the one you want!

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
There are quite a few multibarreled sets out there. Not many made any more since tubes are the vouge now! Remington 3200, Winchester 101, Browning, Citori and Superposed, Marrochi/Friggon, Beretta, SKB, and the more obvious Beretta, Krieghoff, and Perazzi. These are just the ones I know are arround. Most of them can't be bought new anymore. Me, I went the multi gun route. I shoot a Beretta 686E for 20 ga and will probably use it for 12 if I decide to shoot 12 ga events. I also have a matching pair of Sig/Rizzini O/Us in 28 and .410. They handle and feel a lot like my Beretta. If I get really serious about this, I'll probably have Briley make tubes for the Bretta 20 ga for 28 and .410. Just to make you sick, I passed on a pretty nice, barley used Browning citori 4 barreled set in a hard case a couple years ago for, $1700! Why you asked?? They were 26" barrels and I thought I wanted 28 or 30. You live and learn! Well, maybe you learn?

BP

1 - 20 of 22 Posts