Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a newbie, I could use some advice regarding which colors of lenses in shooting glasses are used for what shooting conditions--particularly the colors of pale green, amber, bronze and vermillion.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
I haven't found a situation where green works for me. Others may have different experiences. The vermillion is used in bright conditions where there is a darkish background like trees. The amber I've used when it is cloudy but still bright. My main hue is light purple followed by vermillion. I also have light yellow and clear for real dark conditions. The bronze I use as sunglasses for driving. A key factor to use when picking glasses is to use the lightest color you can get away with. Too dark of a shade will cause the pupils to dialate which can interfere with depth perception and that leads to incorrect target reads. Everyone will have a different idea as to the "best" color. Only you can determine what is best for you through experience.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm a newbie too, but I like the yellow lenses in my glasses. I have these. They were only $25 and come with 3 different lenses. They're definitely not the same quality as name brand high dollar glasses, but they suit me just fine. I did notice that it feels like I acquire the target better with the yellow lenses than with clear lenses. I haven't tried the gray lenses.[/url]

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
One of the good deals that comes as a combo with ear protection is the Radians Rad Pack: http://robertseyewear.com/radianscombo.html

I like the amber and vermillion lenses. Colors are all based on your perception of the target against the background. Vermillions, bronze, and orange colors are the most common seen on the field as they help the target stand out against a background.

Wiley X also offers some good products without having to go to the expense of the Dicots. http://www.sporteyes.com/wiley.htm

Neutral Slate Lenses: Great for general purpose use. These lenses will provide maximum glare reduction without distorting colors. Ideal for most activities and sports where glare is a major factor.

Clear as Crystal Lenses: Allow maximum light transmission without changing the value of the colors. The clear choice for indoor shooting, industrial use, medical/dental use, night driving or any activity where protection is the major objective.

Bronze Brown Lenses: Offer superior visual definition and glare reduction in bright light conditions. Overall it is the most suitable lens to sharpen and enhance ground level contours. Versatile lens is good for golfing, biking, hiking, shoot sporting and driving.

Lightning Yellow Lenses: Best suited for use in low light conditions where enhancement is needed. Yellow lenses naturally block blue light which cause visual haze and will increase visual clarity. This is extremely important on overcast days when blue light is prevalent.

Hazard Orange Lenses/Light Rust: Filter out blue light waves which are chief components of glare and haze. These lenses provide contrast enhancements in medium to low light conditions. Great choice for golf, baseball, snow sports, and sport shooting.

Mirror Lenses: Feature the Neutral Slate lenses finished with a z-oxide flash mirror coating. These lenses will provide the ultimate protection against strong reflected glare found on the beach, snow, water and grass.

Royal Plum Lenses: Specifically designed to provide glare reduction in bright light conditions while sharpening details against a blue/green background. Shooters and aviators find this lens particularly beneficial.

Vermillion Lenses/Pale Rose: Will improve details and enhance depth perception similar to the Royal Plum lens when encountering low or artificial light conditions. This lens naturally brings out the intensity of warm colors. These unique lenses are a favorite of skiers, golfers, trap and sporting clay shooters.

Crimson Brown Lenses: Naturally block blue light which is reflected light which is reflected light in the atmosphere that cause eye fatigue and strain. Enhance warm colors allowing the eye to better focus on it's surroundings and terrain. Excellent all around sunglass lens and ideal for golf.

Neutral Green Lenses: Great for general purpose use. These lenses will provide maximum glare reduction without distorting colors. Ideal for most activities and sports where glare is a major factor.

G

·
I wear prescription glasses so I bought a pair of shooting glasses from Morgan Optical. Check out their web site they offer quite a bit of information regarding lens color. www. morganoptical.com I have orange and vermilion. I only use the orange ones when it is extremely overcast and dark. Good Luck

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
First off, - declaration of interest, I am a dealer for HifDefSpex - I bought a pair when they first came out and became a dealer shortly thereafter. Many of my shooting students have bought them since.

You can check out the latest technology in sports eyewear at http://www.HiDefSpex.com.

You only need the one lens color, not several. I even use mine for shooting Bullseye pistol indoors and for driving.

They are seriously different, we do plano, and prescription, our frames or yours. Mail me offline at

[email protected] for more information.

Roger

·
Registered
49 Posts
I read an article about hidefspex in sporting clays magazine a couple months ago and they looked very nice, but at at almost $200 they're a lot more than I want to spend on shooting glasses. I just had an idea. I'm not asking for a freebie or anything, but is there any way you could do a group buy on SGW with the hidefspex? Depending on the price, I think I'd be interrested.
Rick, the radians definitely look like a good deal. If (probably when) i break mine, I'll definitely look into them. Do you have the kind with the built in ear plugs? If so, how do you like them? Does it feel akward at all having the ear plugs attached to the glasses?

G

·
I like 3 lenses usually.

A medium to dark purple color for bright days, and even bright overcast days. A light vermillion or very light purple for dark days, and clear or super light gold for night/rainy days. Now i wear my medium purple lenses by far the most.

I used to be really fond of the bronze, or rust/burnt orange lenses but I think the purple do a better job of pulling out the target in a wider range of conditions for me.

Oakley's persimmon lens works really well under lower light conditions, but I have not found a lens I like of theirs for bright conditions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
MrSpurg said:
As a newbie, I could use some advice regarding which colors of Sharingan Contacts in shooting glasses are used for what shooting conditions--particularly the colors of pale green, amber, bronze and vermillion.
Some shooter prefer a rust orange color, while others prefer an amber, and many prefer yellow. Yellow is one of the most popular colors for shooting. It enhances contrast and visual acuity while also making the surroundings appear "brighter" than when wearing clear lenses.

·
Registered
24,640 Posts
I use Randolph Rangers; I have light purple, dark purple and their CMT lenses. Here in FL, we have a LOT of green, so color choice depends on light conditions. Full sun, no shade and no clouds, I use the CMT (a rare occurrence), the dark purple for bright days with partial clouds and the light purple for cloudy and/or shady areas.

·
Registered
488 Posts
The color of lense you needs depends on the light conditions where you are shooting

·
Registered
24,640 Posts
And you posted in the original!

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
I have Randolph Rangers, and use the amber (yellow) lenses for dark, overcast days, but use the vermillion (red) lenses for bright, sunny days. It works very well for me.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Pay attention to color AND light transmission values. Match light transmission to the worst shooting conditions you will experience (for example, if you will see targets in heavy shade, use a lens that lets adequate light through). If I could only pick one color it would be light purple. If I could have two, I would add vermillion. That is my two cents worth for my eyes and shooting conditions.

·
Premium Member
11,284 Posts
I have Ranger Edge glasses and have the Lt-HD and regular HD's and the Lt. Purple pretty much covers any/all conditions for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts